Author Topic: Mentor to young lad  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Joules

Mentor to young lad
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Hi guys, I just recently took on a shy young lad (late teens) to mentor in engineering.  He's already at college for electrical and mechanical engineering.  His Mum asked my other half if I would like to take him under my wing so to speak.  The lad has been trying to find part time work but so far no success, I know a few of you have some success at the car boot sales for odd hand tools and the like.  It would be nice to get him kitted out with some basic stuff, micrometer, thread gauges, steel ruler scriber etc.   Stuff you might already have a duplicate of, or come across on your travels.   Be much obliged for any help, and where I can I will cover cost of P&P for the lad.   Keep him in mind, he wants to build a model jet engine   :med:  once he learns some hands on metal working skills.   Who knows, he might even get to do some 3D printing.
  :lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

RobWilson

Re: Mentor to young lad
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:48:38 AM »
I will see what I can dig up Joules  :thumbup:   

Rob

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »
Thanks Rob

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 04:46:43 AM »
Hi there, Joules,

It sounds like your protegé would be a good candidate for Keith Fenner's tool box giveaway. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 05:44:47 AM »
I have a newish Eclipse spring loaded centre pop I will donate.
Could you pm me your address and I'll do the rest..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline smiffy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
If you pm me your adderss and anything inparticular you are looking for I will see what I have .Mike

Offline Pete.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 06:18:47 AM »
Hi Joules,

I'll see what I have. Can he work in inches or is he going to be strictly metric?

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 07:11:23 AM »
Hi Joules,

I'll see what I have. Can he work in inches or is he going to be strictly metric?

He will be brought up on a mixture of metric and imperial.  Hopefully he won't turn his nose up at old iron later on and be happy finishing a metric part with a 1 thou cut.

I have metric and imperial mic's here for teaching him.

Pete W

I just had to look up Keith Fenners tool box giveaway.   If he got what they show last year he would be better equipped than I am now   :bugeye:

Thinking about it some tool making projects would be good for him and me.  I could use a small interchangeable soft face hammer, finger plate etc.  Might as well make two, together as make one alone.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »
Joules

I associate my apprenticeship with the warmest of memories gathering tooling for my inventory was hard to say the least, it’s a very kind thing you are doing and I certainly would like to contribute, PM me the address and I shall donate all I can spare.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Joules

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
Joules

I associate my apprenticeship with the warmest of memories gathering tooling for my inventory was hard to say the least, it’s a very kind thing you are doing and I certainly would like to contribute, PM me the address and I shall donate all I can spare.

Anthony.

Anthony, I have had some fantastic mentors in my years, they have been both generous in time, equipment and materials.  Many of them are no longer with us, I can think of no better way to honour their memory than to pay forward what I recieved.

Offline Joules

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
I suppose a list of tools and bits so far is in order.

Auto centre punch
Digital caliper
Engineers pocket data book
De burring tool
Multimeter  (on it's way, I had forgotten his electrical part)
my old Roland MDX-3 and Pix 3 scanner, they are a bit oddball, but he can make things in wax and balsa as soon as we get him started with CAD here.
Large wooden tool chest.
Safety glasses
Some other bits on the way, but I don't know what they are.

Lads, I'm quite humbled by the generosity I am receiving.  Please accept my thanks to you all.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:19:47 AM by Joules »

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
Joules,

(A) I am "across the pond."  And, (B) I "support" quite a few "newbies" out of my own "collection."  [Excuses, excuses, excuses!]

One of the things that I do (having started with my daughters and their boyfriends) is run 2-3 "kids"/decade through the "old exercises" such as: making a 1.000 inch cube with hacksaw, file, square, and micrometer (usually out of scrap HRS bits); filing a piece of CRS round bar into a .750 hex with file, protractor, and micrometer; making the mating "slip fit" .750 hex hole in a piece of HRS plate; and the like.  Such "old exercises" certainly develop not only hand-eye coordination, but an appreciation for "modern tools" that is often "missing" in today's trades.

I kid you not, I teach about a dozen "machinists" about Tooling Balls pretty much every year.  [That was something I learned about month 6 of my apprenticeship.]

Offline Joules

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
Thanks Lew, I can only lead by example and filing a cube is not something I can do these days or times past   :palm:  I am pretty much self taught as my apprenticeship was in electrical engineering.  The metal and machine side grew out of hobby so I hope to make things together.   In fact files are what I am lacking here, even for myself a very modest collection of modern examples  :(

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 02:35:52 PM »
One 30 Kg box of files will be winging it's way in a couple of weeks. You can fight over who's having what.

Wondered who I could palm these off onto  :scratch:
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
Oh, guess who will be making a filed cube then.....   Cheers John

Offline Pete.

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 01:24:33 PM »
Jules I have dug out the following for your lad:

Small height gauge
Metric micrometer
Metric vernier
Combination square set
Plus a couple of older micrometers.

It was all gathering dust so happy to let it go to a good cause. It'll be in the post tomorrow.

Pete.

Offline smiffy

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 02:01:17 PM »
 Few bits and pieces will be in the post tomorrow
assorted drills
Metric taps
and a few other usefull bits

Offline Joules

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
Thanks guys, very much appreciated.   I have a growing list of small projects for him and me  :dremel:

RobWilson

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »
Its good to see the lads chipping in   :mmr:

Rob

Offline Joules

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »
OK fella's, meet Joe.

He's starting with a virtual blank slate, so I can teach all my bad habits   :thumbup:

Spiffy sent us a really great old Starrett caliper it's missing the friction pad for the fine adjuster.

Fortunately we have the pad from the moving caliper to model from.  In this case its going to be a brass replacement rather than steel.

Today is learning to use a junior hacksaw with some degree of precision and filing using needle files and larger to shape the brass, as well as basic measuring and dimensioning your scribblings.

Just had jacket potatoes from the workshop stove, so back to work for us.

Big thanks guys for all the support so far in tools and bits, I think he is enjoying himself.

Offline Joules

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »
It was Joe's afternoon today, he had his caliper brake to finish off.

Final bit of filing and saw off the excess brass.

The fit is just about spot on, little dab of oil and turn the components round and it all runs smoothly.

I think Joe is pretty happy with his first bit of metal working and doing a fix on a measuring tool, from small beginnings.....

He spent the first couple of hours this afternoon learning to use the shaper and driving that after about 30 mins tuition.   Good afternoon had by all.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
a job well dun

Offline Joules

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »
Huh, just spotted that Smiffy got auto corrected to Spiffy     :palm:    Bloody computers...

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
Give him a couple of years and and you'll find your apprentice is your master. If they have interest in a subject there comes a point soon into the learning process where they generally gain real confidence and take command of the disciplines involved.
Learning is a wonderful process to behold,good on you for providing the guidance.....OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

RobWilson

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »
Nice one  :thumbup:

Rob