Author Topic: Beware, eBay scams abound !  (Read 2074 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Beware, eBay scams abound !
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
Twice recently I've alerted eBay to what I thought were scams, and within hours to their credit they have pulled the adverts. Both were fixed price ie not an auction as such.

First instance was a Ford 6700 tractor with a Bomford flail hedge cutter mounted - only about 35 miles away and a bargain at £3,500. When I contacted the seller there was every wriggle in the book to avoid me coming - but happy to deliver for free on a 7 days trial with sale to go via eBay and Paypal. When I looked at the sellers other items, there was a Motorhome, a Speed Boat and a BMW car, but the account feedback history was for low value items of women's clothing. A Google image search on the Motorhome found it had already been subject of an eBay scam last year!

Second was a JCB 803 digger like mine at the bargain price of £4,100 - including a plant trailer. This is about half the value of the digger so very suspicious. Looking at the sellers other items guess what - a Motor Home, a Power Boat and a BMW  car though not the same items as before. Again the feedback history was for low value items nothing like what was being sold. I didn't bother with Google Image Search this time and just reported the items, which eBay pulled pretty promptly.

So in summary, if it look too good to be true it almost certainly is  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: Beware, eBay scams abound !
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Andrew, If we had a "Thank you button" then I would click it.

As we don't:

Manual "Thank You" sent!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/