The Shop > Metal Stuff

Sodium Silicate, aka. water glass. - Fast setting?

(1/3) > >>

NeoTech:
I have seen waterglass being used quite often in different casting application for making up sand molds. But is there a way of having it fast setting in air - without the need to introducera Co2. Mainly because getting Co2 here in a bottle is a really hard..

awemawson:
Make you own with Bicarbonate of Soda - baking powder. I seem to remember NormanV did such a thing when I sent him some sodium silicate.

P.J:
Hi!

@NeoTech
I live is Sweden too and I bought a SodaStream Co2 cylinder to harden waterglass mixed sand. They can be found in most well sorted super markets. ClasOhlson has them for 80 SEK, only sold in shops, not online due to shipping hazzard or some such overprotective babysitting nonsense. I think most ICA SuperMarkets sell them too.
The thread on the cylinder is a rather course affair, a 4mm pitch if I remember correctly, and about 14mm diameter.
A simple tool to bleed the bottle can be turned from aluminium round, threaded in one end to fit the cylinder and the other end to fit a m6 plunger that pushes down on the valve.
Drill and thread a perpendicular hole for a hose fitting in the middle of the tool, attach a hose and Bobs your uncle.

A suitable o-ring will take care of any exessive leakage between the cylinder and the tool, but do NOT make the tool gas tight. Do NOT add a second valve at the hose fitting.
If the plunger malfunctions and bleeds the bottle at full throttle you want it to gas out to atmosphere without building up preassure inside the tool.

tom osselton:
You should be able to use a plastic container with small vent holes using baking soda and vinegar.

nrml:
How about a CO2 fire extinguisher? They are usually very widely available and sold at subsidised rates in a lot of countries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version