Author Topic: New 3D Printer  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Joules

New 3D Printer
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »
Ok, ok, they come along at the rate of one every few days.  However this one caught my attention.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/854865943/cetus3d-at-199-get-all-you-need-to-start-3d-printi/?3ders

Number one is price, then build quality of components used.  The manufacturer is Tiertime, not some little unknown start up, but one of the big boys in Asian printer manufacturers.  I think they have used Kickstarter to act as a PR, and get nuts like me talking about it.   This could be a really good entry level printer, but I don't have an idea of the retail price and maybe again thats why it first appears on Kickstarter to see how much they can realisticly charge for it.    All I would say is keep an eye on it for end of the year and next year.   Other than the electronics it looks pretty easy maintenance, and I like the bit in the video where the printer is picked up and rolled about whilst still printing.  It can also remember where it was in the event of a power cut and restart from there.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline nrml

Re: New 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »
That looks like an upgraded RepRapPro Ormerod. It is amazing that they can sell it for that price. I wonder if it was knowledge of this and other similar devices in the pipeline  was what prompted RepRapPro to shut down as abruptly as they did rather than end up bankrupt. It's a bit sad that RepRapPro ended up being priced out of the market after doing most of the pioneering work on printers in this class. I guess they paid the biggest price of all for their commitment to open source hardware and software.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
That is a novel looking machine. I could see it being used as a portable machine to use at Maker Fairs and other hobby shows.

Unfortunately, all the cheap ones are gone now and at the next level up  (nearly 300 US ) plus shipping to Canada, makes it the same price as other machines that are able to print with more than pla.

It is still a very interesting concept and gives me a couple of ideas.

Thanks for the link.

Tom

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »
That looks like an upgraded RepRapPro Ormerod. It is amazing that they can sell it for that price. I wonder if it was knowledge of this and other similar devices in the pipeline  was what prompted RepRapPro to shut down as abruptly as they did rather than end up bankrupt. It's a bit sad that RepRapPro ended up being priced out of the market after doing most of the pioneering work on printers in this class. I guess they paid the biggest price of all for their commitment to open source hardware and software.

None of the current successful HOME printers on the market are based on threaded rod or 3D printed parts.  The concept was noble but the implementation was just out classed with better build designs from overseas where manufacturing costs are so much lower.

This design is certainly something most engineers here could duplicate pretty easily.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:16 PM »
Its a very interesting setup and looks to be much smoother than the Rep Rap clones etc. I am now thinking it would be interesting making one similar to this as I really like the design and the only thought is on rigidity of the machine though that would be fairly easy to overcome.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it