Author Topic: Has anyone else got an SU1 ?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Joules

Has anyone else got an SU1 ?
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
I would really like someone else to clock the horizontal spindle on a SU1 and see if it has the offset the same as the one I have.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: Has anyone else got an SU1 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »
Whats a SU1?
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 04:02:40 AM »
Small (horizontal) milling machine. Very vesatile and nice concept.

On the video few things were less than optimal, that vise looked awkward.

Really had hots for it when it was published. Potenttially it could have been very nice machine. I was affraid the it would not have been executed very well. Lucilyt skipped the deal. As a concept it is very nice. I would prefere just a tad more meat on castings and bit more vorking envelope. If used on vertical it really could benefit from larger knee movement. See on the video how little it has daylight, even if the vise is removed. Looks like even arbor chang is a challenge.

Aciera F1:

This is really nice (and expensive) but small work envelope...ideal for clock work and such.

Pekka

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:13:47 AM »
As PekkaNF says, for me coming as a long time Taig mill user, the SU1 is MASSIVE, no issue with the castings once they are scraped in to improve contact (so not a great first user machine), the base is a little flexible on its feet, but on a flat surface with room for the Z screw it is more rigid.  To be honest for the stuff I do, the Z just isn't an issue for milling.  Yes, it would be a pain for drilling (as per the Taig), but even that can be worked round with a through spindle adaptor as used in the George Thomas sensitive drill.  Having had a chance to play with the horizontal milling spindle...   I really like it, even with the apparent alignment issue (not seen any adverse effect yet).   I have just made up an adapter to make use of the ALDI 110mm TCT saw blades.  When they are on offer you can pick them up for less than £4.00 each, I bought a load last offer, they are also rated for cutting steel as well as wood and aluminium.

The Axminster video really did this little mill a disservice.  They used a vice that was totally unsuited for this mill, couldn't be arsed to clamp the work to the table and show it doing some real milling.  The vertical head being on the over arm, can be moved to make use of room in front of, or behind the table if need be.  So even though the claimed Y is only 92mm in reality I am seeing 116mm travel.

:D   Sorry, wasn't meant to turn into a mini review.  Yes I have issues, like the horizontal spindle alignment, the motor at low speed keeps overshooting it's feedback sensor and can stall out briefly, but I will say the motor can deliver good torque low down.   I have also had a dive into the electronics on this machine and worked out how to control the spindle from my CNC controller using PWM.

Oh well, looks like I am only the second person to have one of these machines, in fact THIS machine.   :lol:

I was so close to buying one when Lester bought this one and you know what, I regret not buying when the price was reasonable.  It's a Chinese mill, it needed work.  I will get Lester to comment after he has a hands on with his tweaked machine in a week or two.

If anyone has chance to pop in an Axminster store and clock the SU1, that would be cool    :thumbup:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.