Author Topic: Eye protection,dont let your guard down!  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Mr blindbird

Eye protection,dont let your guard down!
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
Hi folks,ealyer today,just after noon,nothing on my hands,i remembered something abouth checking the electrical connections because they tend to come loose in time in the topic ''how to wire a plug''
So i started to check all my connections and found a loose one in the second socket i checkt,no problem,the main was switched off so i would quickly fasten it,nothing special about that...i wish...
I learned 2 very important things during that event   1;the tip about absolutely not nicking the whire when cutting the insulation is very important.
                                                                              2;even when you think to do an obvious easy task that will only take less then a minute,dont forget the eyeprotection.
What happened was when i came across the loose wire,it actualy had been arcking ,burning the insulation to a crisp :zap:,so i cut the wire a litle shorter beond the crispy and cut the insulation.
no mather how carefull i was,i must have tuched the full copper wire anyway,making it brake off when i tryed to bend the wire round to make the screw fit nicely in.
Even with the slightest force i needed to bend the wire,there was enough left to launche the pliers inbetween my right eye and eyesocket  :bugeye:.After a quick check in front of the mirror,i was relieved to see no dammage was donne,no blood,no pain...must have had a good guardian angel on my shoulder that instant cause i might as well have lost my eye there :scratch:
Normaly i'll be the first to make sure i use my psm and make sure i work safe but it only took me a second ofguard,what exactly is the only thing you need to risk injury or worse.
So...take this as an example on how quick it can go wrong,then this near eye taking insident may contribute to anyone's safety in the near future :thumbup:
By the way...if you happen to see a red pliers fly by,that's mine :lol:

If force doesnt solve the problem,you're not using enough...
If aditional force still doesnt do the trick...you should have checkt if it's a right or left thread first...

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Eye protection,dont let your guard down!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
Glad your OK

Good point though, I think all of us take safety pretty seriously when using machine tools but, it goes to show it can be the little things that take you off guard and can just as easily catch you out, to be honest I'd never have considered wearing safety specs to wire a plug.

CC

Offline Mr blindbird

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
Never thought of that to but after this...i'll probably wear my eyeprotection even to tie my shoe laces :lol:
If force doesnt solve the problem,you're not using enough...
If aditional force still doesnt do the trick...you should have checkt if it's a right or left thread first...

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi Danny,

I'm glad my post has prompted someone to check for loose connections. I you continue checking you will probably find more.

You may have brittle wiring, age hardening, you did say it was old. It sounds like it really does need replacing.

I'll say this again, loose wiring connections is the No1 cause of electrical house fires. And it's a lot more common than you might think.
Everyone should check all connections at least once a year. You "will" find some loose ones if it have never been checked. I'd put money on it.... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »
Ooooh..... Danny!  :bugeye:

Very pleased your eye is undamaged.  :thumbup:

I rarely give eye protection much thought, as I wear spectacles at all times.  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:48 AM »
Hi Danny

Glad your OK,

To damage your eyesight is not a good idea.

I had a accident playing sport that could have resulted in permanent damage to an eye, I was in Hospital for a week, luckily I got away with it with no permanent damage: but some of the Chaps I was in Hospital with weren't so lucky.

I always wear safety glasses, your eyesight is a very prescious gift.

Have fun (with care)

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »
Superglue is also one thing, that should be handled with care. Especially liquid one.

Once I was gluing loosened fret on a guitar, and when pushing the fret firmly to its place, superglue squirted right to my eyes.

But luckily enough, I had 'accidentally' forgotten the safety glasses on.

Since then, I have never used superglue without safety glasses.

Offline jim

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »
very ture, i got a tiny piece of carbide go through the front of my eye at work, i had to have 4 months off and 5 operations (3 under a LOCAL anesthetic).

never ever take a chance with your sight.

my eye is ok now, but first thing i do in my shed is put my glasses on
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it