So, it wasn't only me that had the hard one?
Next one is for cross feed. Maybe? This lathe is pretty far from ideal, but it is nevertheless very useful to have. I have decided to use some time to improve it's accuracy, fix some problems and make it easier to use. Sort of DRO is convenice, that I'm not prepared to buy real one, but some sort of would be nice.
I have used a dial gauge, it works on finishing steps, but it is always a bit of an add-on that gets fumbled.
I am thinking of using a digital caliper parts for cross slide. There are some problems that has to addressed:
* I don't want parts to stick out, as flat as possible. There is very little real estate on the either side of the cross slide.
* If caliper type scale is used just about tailstock side could be used, but needs a stop to prevent tail stock from crushing the scale
* Very easily separate scale would complicate maintenance and collect swarf
* There is a little space inside if the cross slide. Could mount the magnetic/capasitive tape + head there.
2) Reading ergometrics - most likely a separate display would be nice, Diameter set and diameter display would be rally nice.
2a) Cheap caliper scale with separate displayhttp://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Measurement/Digital-Readouts-with-Dedicated-Remote-Display/Digital-Readout-Bars-with-Dedicated-Remote-Display
* Price is right, but the scale/read head looks sort of clumsy.
* Has no diameter set/display. I.E. functionality is no better than digital caliper
2b) I could try to mutilate one caliper and see if the scale tape can be persuated out of the caliper and see if the display can be moved few centimeters of flat cable to somewhere more comfortable.
2c) Magnetic tape + read head + display, this would come easily bit too expensive for this project. Fine if I had a nice lathe, then 280 EUR could be justified, but not for this one.http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/m-dro-magnetic-scale-eh-3119.htmlhttp://www.machine-dro.co.uk/mini-single-axis-display-console.html
This would provide best functionality, it would have diameter display and set. pretty much only thing missing from real DRO would be lack of tool offsets.
Anybody mutilated calipers and found out working way to put them together?