The Shop > Metal Stuff

A small pot belly stove.

(1/4) > >>

NeoTech:
So i made this little Pot belly stove. And are trying to figure out if i should put in a extra level into it. Its kinda hard to start and the flow dies off if its not hot enough and thus i need the bbq lid in the start.. When its hot it runs 250C (480F) steady on just sticks and fallen down dead wood from the woods behind my house. And i can put a plate ontop of it and it will just burn clean.

So how can i make this little stove easier to start, more efficient and well safer.. Im gonna install it into my workshop when i get hold of good fire protection for my dry walls.

John Rudd:
Is the square tube part if the flue?

If so, I think its angle is wrong....and is strangling the air flow....ideally the flue should go as straight as possible so the air flow is unhindered....

NeoTech:
Yeah its the flu "connection" it will go into a box im making atm, that will beasicly be a large heat exchanger and from that it will exhaust into a chimney.
(Box with alot of pipes and the exhausts goes around the pips and a fan on one side sucking in air into the box pipes and pushes it out on the other side.)

I made it like that because it was easiest to stick wood into the stove from the top..and i can just go out and wrangle some dead old tree and chop it up into meter bits and stick it down into there..
Its not really a problem when its hot.. but before that when the whole thing is dead cold.. it takes a good hour of slowly feeding the thing until you get around 100C into the steel.. then it just starts eating anything i put into it.

awemawson:
 If the box section flue exited at 45 degrees it would enhance your draught at start up very considerably, which should make it burn better from the beginning.

NeoTech:
Hmm yeah that was an obvious one i missed.  :bang:

Well i will try that.. the starting draft is the big issue basicly.. and where to fit the heat exchanger when getting that far. Gonna heat 80 square meter with this thing in the winter . =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version