The gears, shaft and bearings came in over the weekend. I had ordered a 24 tooth and 48 tooth gear. And damn, if the are not heavy.
Both had a .5" inner diameter hole. Both gears can be bored, so I took the smaller of the 2 gears to.75" to match the drive shaft.
Now the hurdle to overcome is fitting 2 gears and 2 pulleys where there is supposed to be only 1 pulley. The larger gear is too thick and doesn't allow any room for a mount/bearing on the inboard side (close to the motor)
Serious head scratching as to how I could make this work. Started to think about cutting and welding. Trimming the gear itself down... Then it hits me. Bore a pocket in the big gear!
So onto a boring job! Ignore the step, I started a little too deep. At least it is lighter now!
FYI... I just finished replacing the bearings on my lathe and adding a 4" realbull spindle...
And I think it is going to work!
Now I have to figure out how I am going design the mount. I still may not be able to fit a bearing on the inboard side. Might have to use a bronze bushing.
It will take me a few more days to work out the mount.