Author Topic: Little brass steamer  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Ironhorse57

Little brass steamer
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
My main interest is toy steam engines, I have 30 odd dating form early 1900's to new and during the collection/repair process it's inevitable that one accumulates an assortment of surplus bits & pieces, sometimes there's almost enough parts to make another toy...  I got the Mamod MM1 boiler from EBay pretty cheaply last year without any real intent, it was just too good to miss.  Recently blew the dust off it and set to - I found a suitable piston/cylinder assembly in one of my spares boxes, the crank is 1930's Doll, the flywheel was originally supporting a brass cannon ornament found in a charity shop (again, too good to miss!) and the chimney embellisher is the top of a brass candlestick, no prizes for guessing where that was bought.  Some spare brass sheet for the firebox and a copper pipe end stop for the burner.  She runs very sweetly - video here of the first successful steam run, I confess to making a podge of the steam pipe soldering which needed a teeny fix first:

One minor issue, now sorted, she needed a chimney drain to lose the condensed exhaust steam, easy addition.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:42:59 PM by Stilldrillin »

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Little brass steamer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 12:32:17 AM »
Well worth the effort Dave, it's a goodun. Congrats.   :clap:   :beer:
Thrift (opp) shops can be a great resource of stuff that might be handy?? I too have been there and my spirit burner is the bulbous base of a small brass specimen vase. Yet to need a chimney so I can use the stem of the vase. One day maybe perhaps? At least it will be there (If I can remember where I put it) ? ha ha

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »
A nice little truly Madmodded steamer  :clap:

John

Offline Ironhorse57

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Thanks guys - I like simple projects.  Can't go past a charity shop, lots of potentially useful bits from a solid brass candlestick, I made a step pulley set from the base of one and have a few more which could be useful in the future.

Dave

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »

Nice one, Dave! The spirit of MadModder.....  :thumbup:

I love bitza's/ modded orphans. You've probably noticed..... 

David.

(I've tidied up your vid, for you.....)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!