Author Topic: Threaded spindle reverse  (Read 5774 times)

Offline ieezitin

Threaded spindle reverse
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »

Hello lads

Has Anyone on here come up with a way to have a threaded back plate on a threaded spindle and fix it so it don't turn off when reversed, if so how did you overcome this problem.

Thanks

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline mexican jon

Re: Threaded spindle reverse
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
Many years ago I milled a small flat into the threads on the nose and drilled the back plate to fit a grub screw  :loco: Now I don't know if this was a good idea or not but it worked and didn't seem to effect the accuracy when a normal chuck was refitted. :thumbup:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
The chuck is located on the plain register, so provided it's not a sloppy fit then I suppose a flat on the thread won't matter. It depends on the lathe as to how you can achieve this. On the Boxford, for example, it's possible to reduce the thickness of the spindle bearing cover plate to expose  a plain section of the spindle. You can then fix a split collar to the back of the chuck back plate which then clamps around the spindle. There was mention of this on the Boxford Users' Group recently.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
Spin it on fast and let it slam against the shoulder :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »
We had a Simonet instrument lathe at work and all the chucks and faceplate had a loose split collar which applied a bit of squeeze of the backplate onto the register. You couldnt budge them without undoing the collar.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »
Pete..

you forgot to mention after slamming it on insert the key into the hole and muller it a tad more with a lead hammer... :loco:

Jon...

I see how it would work I just aint got the goolies to hack a flat on my spindle.

Philf..

You may have something there... :coffee: in fact i am making a collet chuck and the back plate so on said back plate i could incorporate the slot..ummmm thanks

Anthony..

Offline Pete.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 01:15:21 AM »
Pete..

you forgot to mention after slamming it on insert the key into the hole and muller it a tad more with a lead hammer... :loco:

Also didn't mention how you were ever going to get it off again but that wasn't part of the brief :D

Glad you didn't take my advice seriously :thumbup:

Offline chipenter

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:45:18 AM »
The club has a lathe once belonged to a toolmaker , all three backplates have a grub screw that go into a dimple in the register , he must have made a matching fixture to drill all three the same .
Jeff

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:24:36 AM »
Pete..

Also didn't mention how you were ever going to get it off again but that wasn't part of the brief :D

Glad you didn't take my advice seriously :thumbup:

Getting it off again is easy if you put a metre long bar through the space between the chuck jaws and give the end of the bar a good belt with a sledge hammer  :lol:

Can't do any harm,It's only an old lathe  :doh: .... OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 09:05:07 PM »
Anthony:

My lathe (King 10X22 - very similar to the Grizzly G0602) has two L shaped pieces that are bolted to the chuck and fit into a groove on the outside of the spindle:

Shown without the bolt - I don't usually have them attached.

Shown without the L shaped holder and bolt - I put a thin rod in the screw hole just for emphasis:

Might be a bit difficult to make it the same as this but also may give you and idea or two.

John.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
John.

looks like a good set up you have there.. alas it will not work for me as my bearing housing butts up to the register on the spindle..

Thanks for your help..

Anthony.