Author Topic: Prompted By Howsitwork Ian  (Read 12626 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Prompted By Howsitwork Ian
« on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:37 AM »
Thanks to Ian aka howsitwork for the pm.

No Ian not completley under the  :whip: just flat out with a major wood project a request by LOML although I new we needed one. This is an out door setting for us, family and visitors 2mLx 900W x750H for the table all Murbau still in progress about 1/2 way. Bench seat completed 1900Lx450Hx370W

Along with still sorting out the house and workshop in our new digs in SE-QLD tahst South East Queensland. Its hard going from a single garage to a double and the jobs seem to grow in size and requests LOL.

The story of the project https://woolnwood.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/out-door-setting-plus/

Finished Bench and beginning of table

Offline howsitwork?

Re: Prompted By Howsitwork Ian
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
Good to see you back on the forum. I stand by what I said about SWMBO cracking the whip. :bow:

Nice work mate. Just need to make a hang on side table for the bench end to accommodate a tinny or two ?

By the way if you're looking for sympathy - wait until you get  to go from a double garage down to a single, then you'll wince! :smart:

Ian

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
Looking mighty fine  Ging    :clap: :clap: :clap: 

Rob

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »
Thanks Ian well ok BUT with mate who came up from Sydney he's helped by fitting a laundry shelf (damn if I could reach), then heped cut the last of the table parts now just sanding apply finish and assemble. Maybe next week it'll be finished.  :D

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »
Looking mighty fine  Ging    :clap: :clap: :clap: 

Rob

Thanks Rob lets hope it stays looking that way over the years.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 07:40:58 PM »
Merry Christmas one and all.

As at 5pm last night Christmas Eve down under its done the outdoor table completed.  :Doh: Sort of a combined present for Sue & I for the new home along with the bench.
Son & grand kids arriving up from Sydney 5th Jan.

Sorry bout crap photo I was aching shacking and tired when taking it.

rebate router to 10mm for tiles to sit in hot dishes pans etc can now be placed direct to table. Just under 2m long just under 950 wide and 800 high. All Merbau.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »
Merry Christmas Ginger.
      Well, as you realize Christmas is all done and dusted here down under. Only 365 days till the next'n.  :lol:
  Merbau eh? That will be one heavy and solid top and you can dance on it with gay abandon, specially if you have used, (as I do cos I have some left over), a flooring grade varnish.
  How do I know Merbau is heavy you may ask? Well, I made a model Murray river paddle steamer (My avatar) from Merbau and Tasmanian Oak. Heavy as, but the timber was off cuts from helping my son do his pool deck = free, I like free. Oh, and many of the real ones were of RedGum, also a heavy timber. So sort of fits.
Good job, enjoy the table and what ever food is place upon it.  :med:
John B
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:06:03 PM by SwarfnStuff »
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 04:46:04 AM »
That looks really nice. Wood can be sometimes very comforting to work with and sometimes it is a character building experience.

Pekka

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
Thanks John and Pekka

sorry for long delay in replying.

Yep February has arrived in sunny south east QLD blow torch or oxy torch type conditions right now 40C just about anywhere on the island.

Bench No2 is in the pipe line materials cut now our visitor has departed back to the grind when and only when it cools down.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 05:56:55 AM »
Good job  Ging, not sure about your white legs. Think they need a tan.  :lol:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want  :scratch:

I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going - 200 years old but sadly not a spectacular tree as it had suffered a fire on one side back in the 1980's. Yes it's an amazing wood, with the most spectacular purple colouring running through it - newly cut it looks like freshly butchered steaks  :thumbup:

It grieves me to burn it rather than create some furniture with it, but when we took it down it turned out to be several main growths amalgamated into one, so most was small stuff. I have kept a few of the larger logs for turning, but there wasn't much worth saving.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:43 AM »
It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want .....
+1

I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going ...... most was small stuff......

Enough to make a longbow?       :proj:

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
Sadly not (knot :ddb:) Dave.

Looking at the Yew Tree when standing from the field side, you'd have thought that there would be many suitable branches for bows, and a few decent logs for planking. In the event it was a pile of toot by the time it was felled.

It didn't help that a previous owner had had a bonfire under the tree at some time, so the side facing the house was much reduced and rather ragged as it had caught fire - you'd think he should have known better being a retired London Fireman  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PK

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »
Ignoring the artistic and aesthetic aspects of wood for a moment, as an engineering material it can be incredible stuff. If you look at the properties  vs weight of the engineered (laminated) timbers used in construction, they make steel beams look like concrete playdough...

For me though, it's all about the mess. Gimme a greasy stain and a mop and I'll cope. When we occasionally machine timber on the router, the whole place gets dusted. And yes, we have a really good, three phase, extractor and vacuum foot...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
Oh yes PK wood work and metal work don't mix. All the wood dust settling on metal working machinery wicks out the oil from slides and bearings and causes havoc.

I've seen several DIY build logs of people wanting to make a 'multi-purpose CNC bed' for wood routing, aluminium milling AND plasma cutting. I can only think that they've not actually been close to any of these processes in real life !

I am very fortunate (*) in that I have been able to build a dedicated wood workshop, so that is where the wood lathe, planer, table saw etc live, as I'm afraid that they are NOT compatible with my metal working machines in the 'proper' workshop

(* after all it was to have space for things like this that prompted me to buy a small farm !)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Wood and metal have an attraction in the case of rifle stocks. :coffee:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
Just got some really nice elm burr from a generous friend!!

Pens and possibly wild edge bowl if I get grave.

Ian

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
 :Doh: Its so easy to forget engineering started with wood and then came Blacksmith, with out wood we would not have wagon wheels, boats, oh yeh pattern makers who used wood to create the moulds for casting.

The first lathes were wood!!!
The first threads cut were on wood!!
We use wooden mallets, wooden handles on many tools, wooden tool boxes to store engineering tools.

Homes sheds and cars buses and trucks not to forget planes boats and ships engineered all with wood. Do not think for one minuet wood is not used when plastics or metal doesn't exist for without wood decaying we don't get oil, coal, to produce synthetic materials such as oh yeh plastics which comes from petroleum products which comes from crude oil after years of rotten wood matter.

Metal production can not survive without wood.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Just got some really nice elm burr from a generous friend!!

Pens and possibly wild edge bowl if I get grave.

Ian

:jaw: now thats worth bragging about Ian. I see a nice 12 platter or a wall clock I hope the thickness is over 1" no matter if its not a shallow platter will still be super.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want  :scratch:

I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going - 200 years old but sadly not a spectacular tree as it had suffered a fire on one side back in the 1980's. Yes it's an amazing wood, with the most spectacular purple colouring running through it - newly cut it looks like freshly butchered steaks  :thumbup:

It grieves me to burn it rather than create some furniture with it, but when we took it down it turned out to be several main growths amalgamated into one, so most was small stuff. I have kept a few of the larger logs for turning, but there wasn't much worth saving.

Yew sacrilegious wood burner you  :hammer:

A friend down in Tasmania would send photos of his winter wood pile all Tassie Blackwood and ask what piece I'd like sent up for us main landers this wood is a gem hard wood and they burn it daily. :(

Some years back while on holidays posted on another forum for sale was a gents life long wood storeage. Scented Rosewood by the ton, Australian Red cedar same a few friends and I bought some slabs 2mx1mx50 roughly I and one also bought some rosewood stumps 700/800mm high 300 dia.
Over time the gent whittled down 3 large sheds and 3 small sheds as his health begun to fail. Logs and stumps burnt in a bonfire the last was all sold off along in  package with the home.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 01:54:43 AM »
Ray

I think I'm going to cry with envy and frustration. Tasmanian Blackwood!!!!

It w as bad enough travelling the ocean road and seeing piles of myrtle burr firewood!

Yes board is 40mm part of a pair, have sent you pm with photos.

Ian

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »
Well Ian I use to have tears in my eyes also.

I've sent you the photo via email but thought others may like to see something other than Oak, Ash and Elm of the UK

left to right

2 highly figured/spalted Mango a light timber but the finished pen can be stunning.

2 highly figured birds eye Huon Pine

2 waste wood and acrylic & Bloodwood burl

a Bloodwood burl thin blank between

2 Coolabah (not mallee) burl these have voids at the ends and I may decide not to send becuase of that they would make great part pen or sierra style single section pens