Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Edgwick lathe cross-slide nut replacement

(1/3) > >>

chrisnaborg:
Hi all I am new to this blog but it looks really informative and helpful. I am currently restoring an Albert Herbert gap-bed lathe built by Edgwick 6.5inch mk1.
I am finding difficulty to remove the brass cross-slide nut , has anyone worked on an Edwick lathe and maybe can help? When I am trying to pull out the stud from the front side it is hitting the intermediate gear of the automatic feed. If possible I am trying not to remove the top part of the saddle in order not to loose the setting..
I am really stuck please can anyone help? I have attached a picture of the lathe and two of the cross-slide nut from a top view and front view.

Thanks

awemawson:
Welcome to the forum - good to see you here  :thumbup:

Matthew Tinker in France has an Edgewick - and I've a feeling Ade Vickers in Wallasey  also has one - perhaps they'll be along in a moment .....

AdeV:
Hi chrisnaborg,

As Andrew correctly states, I have one of those lathes. Very nice it is too :D

Unfortunately... that's as far as I got with my topslide strip down as well... I couldn't see any easy way to get it out. I have since acquired a manual for this lathe, so I'll have a quick squint at that over the weekend, to see if it offers any clues.

Cheers!
Ade.

chrisnaborg:
Hey thanks all.. i will try to figure something out this weekend as well

mattinker:
Chris,

It's been a year since I took the cross slide lead screw out to repair the where the end had been sheared off! It comes out from the front, you have to take the handle and the graduated dial off to get at the screws that hold the  lead screw in place. Note, there is a friction mechanism for the dial that uses a screw in the lead screw its self, this is visible in my thread http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10758.25.html in the middle of the second page. If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help if I can!

Regards, Matthew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version