Author Topic: help indentifiyng lathe  (Read 7432 times)

Offline speedibee

help indentifiyng lathe
« on: November 16, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
this is the lathe I inherited from my dad . it has no manufacturers name on it ,or any other markings , I know it pre war because he got it from the place he worked before the war . but that all I know 
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline Pete.

Re: help indentifiyng lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
Early Drummond I'd say. Do the change gears have two holes in them for taper pins?

EDIT: Yeah Drummond B   http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummond/page5.html

Offline speedibee

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
Thanks that's it . got it in one .

Offline edward

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
As the others said, its a Drummond B. I have the Admiralty version of the same machine, a B.S with proper apron and power cross feed, they are pretty capable machines for their age. Much more sturdily built than my other machine, a Drummond 'pre-A' flatbed from 1904 which has the same overall form but much more lightly constructed.

The number on mine is out on the tailstock end of the bed somewhere.

Are you planning to keep it and use it - I hope so, nothing like using a family heirloom :)

Offline speedibee

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
I have been using it , made a couple of stirling engines .  cant figure out why the saddle drive won't disengage automatically , to engage it  I have to pull the bottom bar to the left , and that's the way the auto disconnect would push it . so I'm a bit stumped , really it needs a bit of a refurb ,but I have so many other projects on the go I don't have time :)

Offline Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »
It is an early model B because the later ones did away with the 'basket handle' above the headstock which didn't stiffen it up as well as they expected. Worth joining the Yahoo Drummond group which has lots of info but if you aren't already familiar with Yahoo it doesn't work very well with Microsoft Browser.
The cross bar for the auto-disengage is so characteristic you can spot a Drummond from 300 yds away. Above the drill chuck key in photo 1 the clamp on the bar is supposed to be set on the left of the saddle. There is a drop down bar missing from your saddle that comes down to push that clamp and the cross bar to disengage the drive.
BTW it is rather difficult to view photos that are more than about 400 pixels wide on this forum as finding the scroll bar is just a pain.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:46:33 AM »
640 x 480 seems a good all round compromise between the scrolling issue and resolution of the images
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline speedibee

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »
Sorry about the huge size of the photos , I just uploaded from my phone to the laptop and then onto here . I have no idea how to shrink them before posting

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:27:38 AM »
There's a programme called Faststone which is great for resizing.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
You can get re-sizing apps easily enough but the easiest way is to simply set your phone camera to a lower resolution. Image quality won't suffer.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
If you are in a Windows environment, right click the file in Explorer (file explorer not IE) and select 'open with' then 'Paint' - once in Paint there is a resize tab - set it to pixels and 640 x 480 then save as a meaningful name. I download my photos from my iPhone to a desk top PC, keep the original file but save the reduced image as something understandable so the file name acts as a sub-title.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
Yes my suggestion of image size was a bit over conservative. Anyway welcome to the world of lathe owners, particularly Drummond ones. I hope you are going to keep and use it and not dump it on ebay or let it rust in a damp shed. They can be kept in the living room as a conversation piece. Tell people you are into 'steampunk'.