The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

how to make a speed controller for a washing machine motor

(1/5) > >>

speedibee:
Any Whizzkids know how to make a speed controller for a washing machine motor ,  I want to use it as a motor on my lathe so it has to keep it's torque even at low revs . now the other thing I am a complete novice at electronics , so it has to be detailed but without  "In speak "

John Rudd:
So, let's start with how big is the motor? I mean horsepower?

I'd take a stab at around 1.....

A photo of the motor and whatever connections it has too would be helpful.....

As for assembling the mass of components, I'd suggest a pcb based one....
A basic thyristor based speed controller isnt much cop because it doesnt have any feedback from the motor, so the torque suffers at low speed....not what you want...Now it starts getting complicated.

Then again what about a prebuilt speed controller?  A proven design...too.
I have several that are good for 6 amps( a 1200 watt motor) or some bigger ones...all are based on the KB design used in mills and lathes sold by the likes of Warco ( some endorsement huh?) these have a smallish footprint, need very little in the way of additional items to get going...( a potentiometer....)

speedibee:
sounds like ,I'm in the right place . Ill post some photos  tomorrow .and see how we go . I kept all the panels that were in the machine don't know if any of that stuff is any good , the machine got scrapped because it was a sealed drum .and I never checked before buying a new one . and found out too late .it is possible to replace bearings in a sealed drum

DMIOM:
Speedi - have you actually got "a naked motor" out to examine?  John R's comments pertain to many motors - but some washing machines have large stepper coils - and in fact John Hill modified / re-purposed several a few years ago to power CNC router axes (third photograph down in this MadModder thread)

Dave

John Rudd:
Dave,
There was also the brushless option to consider.....all depends on how modern this motor is....

Speedi, does the motor have brushes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version