Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Motorbike Lift Bench

(1/9) > >>

one_rod:
A "serious" project from me for a change, rather than the usual stuff 'n nonsense.

I've always done my own maintenance and servicing on my motorbike. However, as time goes by my knees and back seem to get less and less keen on the idea.
So one of those nifty hydraulic bike benches began to look quite attractive. Thought about buying one, of course, but decided that would be just plain silly. Like you do...

No, it's obviously time to kick through the scrap pile and fire up the welder.

Base frame. A straightforward enough bit of fabrication. Some of this steel has been stored outdoors. Grind the rust off the areas to be welded. I'll deal with the rest later.

Parallel motion arms. Not working to a drawing, or even a rough sketch. Got picture in my head of how it will work, but basically making it up as I go along.

Pivot detail. Reinforced with 16 x 2 hydraulic tube, welded in place. Gives a nice fit on the M12 pivot bolts. The base is 50 x 50 box section, the arms are 40 x 40. So the tube projects 5mm either side to take up the play.

Clamps. The metal-bodgers best friend. Not even thinking about welding moving parts up at this stage. Too much head-scratching and pondering to do. Arms swing quite nicely, though...

More updates to follow. As and when.

charadam:
I am liking this.

Would you please give dimensions when you have worked them out?

kayzed1:
I bought a bike lift when i retired from work for the same reasons, to many years on my knees.
i have just fitted a new clutch to the Lads GSF600, i have an old Douglas Vespa on it at the moment
bringing it back to life for a mate, it was his Dads ( 1959 )  150ls2..  What i was getting at is....
I think in the 8years i have had the lift i have only ever raised it half a dozen times i'm sure :doh:
I still go down on my knees :doh:  so whats that all about!!!

Brass_Machine:
Hi One Rod

Great project. I need one as well... back and knees knackered.

How is the lift going to work?

Eric

one_rod:

--- Quote from: charadam on November 17, 2016, 05:46:31 PM ---
Would you please give dimensions when you have worked them out?

--- End quote ---

The bench top is going to be about 450mm wide by 2m long.

To be honest, one of the real reasons for making my own was because the available ones were a bit wide. My shop isn't that big, and these things are a real space hog anyway.

It will be just a bit wider than the footprint of my bike's main stand, so that will be enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version