Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How to prevent rust in measurement equipment?

(1/9) > >>

PekkaNF:
Silly guestin, but needs to be asked.

Normally I just use a dab of clean straqight gear oil and paper/rug...but I gues not everybody does: I boug an very nice small two sided  cast iron lapping /surface plate. Left it on the trunck onf the car few hours and then took it inside. Next morning it has a sheen of rust on it. Took some oil and paper and cleaned, but then startted to think that I will use it irregularry and this one will be inside on one spare bedroom (my hobby room). Clear oil sent is not the chrismass sent that wife likes most.

So: How do you guys protect cast iron surface plates and measurement tools and still keep your hide inside of the premises?

I had a look on WD40 and it looks like it would leave waxy surface, that is great on hand tools, but not necessary on measuremet tools.

I had a look on camellia oil that I use for japanese wood working tools, but vegatable oils leave very hard surface when they oxidise.

Is there odor free anti aromatic and not the harmfull oil that can be cleaned easily without petrol and other antibedroom substances?

Actulally this surface plate is not anymore of the problem, but I'm going to lug tad under 100 kg of same sort of stuff little by little on that "clean hobbyroom" I have acclaimed and I don't wish to have to raise the "greasy iron" syndrome.

Thanks,
Pekka

smiffy:
 I use this and find it good at rust prevention much better than wd40 Mike
http://www.workshopsupplies.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d274_sas_attack_universal_maintenance_spray.html

PekkaNF:
Not too happy with all those solvents.

I'm thinkking of more like lanolin or mineral oil, something "oil" that can be easily wiped on and then wiped out.

Pekka

DavidA:
Pekka,

I think 'Finnigan's Wax Oil' used in the car trade is mostly lanolin.  It certainly works well as a rust preventer.

Dave.

chipenter:
Gear oil stinks thin machine oil dosn't I put a oily cloth on top and a wooden cover , or wax furniture polish works as well .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version