Author Topic: How to prevent rust in measurement equipment?  (Read 17935 times)

Offline ieezitin

Re: How to prevent rust in measurement equipment?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
I found Anchor Wax dose the job. When dry it leaves a thin clear film of wax which protects the metal. I think it is also used on boats to protect metal parts. http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/ankor-wax-preservative-fluid.html  :coffee:

its sounds like the dogs nut's.. i done the research on the Googles.... can't find a supplier on this side of the hemisphere i wonder if they call it something else..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
Thank you Lew,

What is the story with this Oil of Wintergreen? I can find it here mainly for aromatherapy - something like 20€ per 15 ml......I'll get the oil and solvent to disperse it evenly, but what is the voodoo in this Oil of Wintergreen?

And thank you all too, I ordered ACF50, even if I have not clear use for it - yet.

Pekka

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
Hi Pekka,

Oil of Wintergreen makes things suspended in it penetrate.  That sets-up the dispersal of the oil to reach into nooks and crannies which is generally a good thing in this instance.  Mixed 50/50 with 10 weight oil, it beats the **** out of Kroil.  In a tightly closed (as opposed to sealed) wooden box, it works wonders.  One of the chemical supply houses in my local area stocks it for companies that work with pyrotechnics, so I can pick it up for (about) USD 30/pint.  A little bit goes a long way.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »
Most of the above mentioned work within reason, Camphor is an old method and does work, but requires that the item is sealed for the protection to last a while, otherwise it will evaporate fast. If you are into making your own products I would suggest Carnauba wax thinned with some alcohol or with the addition of Bees wax, Tung oil and some other thinning agent such as natural turpentine which will evaporate and leave a thin layer of the wax. It’s interesting to note that the Japanese Samurai used Tung oil to preserve their blades. Carnauba is a natural wax from leaves of a palm as are the other items. Carnauba wax is used in most car polishing compounds and antirust products such as Bilt Haber. It will need to be heated in an old saucepan with the thinning agent and some of the oils/wax mentioned previously to make it into a paste or liquid if required regulated by proportion of wax to thinner/oil.  Best done outside with a small camp stove; CARE should be exercised using direct heat with a flammable liquid; of course you can use a water bath but it will take longer.  Also keep a wet towel nearby to smother the pan if it catches alight.  For me personally I still prefer Ankor wax even if it’s only available from Morris in the UK.

Gone are my days of cooking! :nrocks:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
Thank you again.

Some of the stuff I'd rather buy than make, but sometimes the fun is in the chase. I'll try some concotion that has been suggested here, maybe I'll learn something even if I revert back to traditiola stuff.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »
I have bought, begged, ordered some of the aforementioned raw materials.

Let's see what comes up.

1) For this Lew-Oil, in which order and method stuff should be mixed? All together?

2) I tried to mix liquid parafin and IPA, looks like there has to be lot of IPA and a little of parafin. Very mild scent, very little residue and cleans well. Will need a little balancing.

Any other tried recepies?

Some of the stuff is a little suspect and hard to find. I'm baffled of the camphor. Is't it sort of resin? Anyway, I found camphor oil, I suspect it is only usefull for scent, but got it included on the same P&P than oil of wintergreen, maybe I find some use for it.

Pekka

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
1) For this Lew-Oil, in which order and method stuff should be mixed? All together?

My approach is to use syringes to extract (reasonably) exact amount of the liquids (oil of wintergreen and 10 weight machine oil) and squirt them in to a ground glass seal bottle (approximately 1 cup or) 375 cc.  I then extract (about 3 cc) of the fluid and squirt that into my cotton stoppered prescription bottle.  That is then "set" into a (usually corner) space that holds it when the tightly fitting case is closed.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
Thank you much.

I have had a lopt of work and other activity to keep me bussy, I have been collecting some household chemicals. Few more coming up and then I can start to experiment a little.

I tried a little of my almost favorite cleaning agens: Liquid parafin (baby oil) and IPA. They don't mix at 50% concentration, sort of emulsion is formed, but that seems to clean and lubricate easily.

When I'll get the oil of wintergreen, I'll try Lew's recepie.

Pekka

Offline appletree

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
We are in a low lying shallow valley - in fact a flood plain. Regularly when I get up in the morning at certain times of the year, there is a thick layer of mist hovering above the ground so dense you can't see the sheep.

And yet my machines and measuring equipment in the main workshop  don't rust. Why ?

One could argue your temperatures are back to front (for tools) not personel as the ambient temperature drops (at night) the water condenses from the air onto colder surfaces.
In the day (typically warmer) the moisture is absorbed into the air.
Having said all the above the thermal masses will be out of step with the surrounding temperatures.
What does anyone think?

... I heat the workshop - daytime 18 deg C and 8 deg C over night. Works for me  :ddb:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2016, 06:13:35 AM »
Use gloves with the above, especially with wintergreen as it contains methyl salicylate, which contains basically aspirin. This can be absorbed through the skin. 5 ml of methyl salicylate contains approximately 6 g of salicylate which is equivalent to almost twenty 300 mg tablets of aspirin. Although the amount you will be using is negligible, if you have a blood disorder or ulcers it is possible that it will irritate you or worse.
Camphor is used in moth balls for clothes in wardrobes. It deters moths form laying their larvae and making holes in your cloths.
You could just use the mothballs!  :coffee:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
no just by all the things gowing to use in plastic

Offline Biggles

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:56 AM »
i'll be interested on what you come up with. Just in case someone doubts the use/effects of wintergreen oil, the item below is the leaflet given to NHS patients using warfarin. (ref; page 2, methyl salicylate on the skin)!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwji_o3woNzQAhUFKsAKHSmGAp0QFggnMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhs.uk%2Fipgmedia%2Fnational%2Fatrial%2520fibrillation%2520association%2Fassets%2Fwarfarinanddiet-patientinformation.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHdWP9rW9tDQqlJTsHrFNvC7MREVQ&cad=rja
 :bugeye:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
well I have posed this before as I work in the making of car body components we use the industrial equivalent of wd40 and for over see shipping wax oil I get a lot of rust preventative paper that new tooling comes rapt in and all of me drors haze a peace in the bottom the other thing I get plenty of is them little packets of silicer  crystals so all me bits and bob's that's in boxes has them in 

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 03:31:08 PM »
Thank you for the warning. I did bump into it when I was trying to get the facts right in my head and the synthetic form of the oil of wintergreen caught my eye. Essentially same thing on toxicology.

Many of the natural products are one way or another poisonous. I usually avoid skin contact, but after reading some of the facts I am pretty content that in my application (pun not intended) risk of harmfull dose trough skin contact is pretty remote.

I'm not saying that oil of wintergreen is totaly harmless:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12040-muscle-rub-blamed-for-athletes-death/
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+1935

But in this context, with some basic sense and precautions should be pretty safe as an "classic" rust prrevention oiling for precision instrumets.

Anyway I got two rolls of VCI paper, Japanese Camelia oil and Ballistol
https://www.dictum.com/en/sharpening/sharpening-accessories/rust-removers-rust-protection

I ordered these, because I was ordering some carnauba wax and shellac as well. Awaiting my aromatherary oils :lol:

Pekka

Offline Biggles

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 12:02:07 AM »
Yes it is a remote risk but as you say, it’s better to use gloves. I have used Ballistol on firearms, its pretty good. If it’s a little old it smells rancid, (I believe it has almond oil in it). I have also used Camelia oil whilst making a wax polish for wood. This is also an old Japanese method of keeping metal. It forms a layer over the metal and dries. This can take a long time depending on how much thinner you use.  :coffee:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »
I have got camphor oil and oil of wintergreen. About of 100 ml of each. Good amout for testin and use.

I tried the Lew oil recipe and it seems to work. Also it got seal of approval from domestic authorities. Mu daugter described the smell of it "fresh".

It makes an odd looking suspension, but it is nice to work with. Solvent aids cleaning and thins it. Oil should prevent tools from rusting and winter green gives a nice scent.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
I have several LARGE rolls of rust preventing paper. Anyone is welcome to as much as they want for the postage
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »
Pm Andrew

-russ