Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Can't find a 3/4-16 female adapter.

(1/2) > >>

RichardDepetris:
 I have a cheap Harbor Freight lathe I acquired as parts. I don't have a motor for it, but I do have a 1 HP treadmill motor I would like to use. The motor is supposed to be face mounted to a pivoting bracket located under the headstock. Unfortunately, my treadmill motor isn't designed for face mounting.  There no good way to mount my motor in the same location due to its weight and size.

I plan to mount the motor externally by attaching a pulley to the rear end of the spindle.  The problem is that it is 3/4"-16 left male threaded. I can't find any adapters to mount my pulley unless I have it custom made.  I could mount a pulley with a 3/4" bore, but I don't have one and I don't want to marr the threads. Ideally, I am looking for a stud with a female on one end a 20mm straight shank on the other. Finding any parts for adapting metric to imperial and vise versa is extremely hard. I am now willing to use another pulley and it has also proven to be equally difficult.

This search has been one of the most frustrating experiences and makes me want to invest in a metal lathe. Why are such parts hard to find? The closest thing I can find is a tube welding bung, but the outer diameter on the smallest end is 1 1/8".  A compatible pulley would be too large and expensive. Any ideas of where to look?  All of my usual suspects, ebay, amazon and even McMaster Carr have come up short. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA:
Richard,

A photo would probably help clarify things.

But isn't there some way you can bodge something together with string and sealing wax that will allow you to run the lathe to make it's own adapter ?

Dave.

chipenter:
Have you looked for a left hand 3/4 AF tap or die ?

Lew_Merrick_PE:
Richard,

The tap drill for a .7500-16UNF thread (LH or RH) is 11/16'ths (.6875) inch.  A pulley with a bore that size (or smaller) should be fairly easy to thread as .7500-16UNF-LH -- either with a tap or on a lathe.  Not knowing where you are located makes it hard for anybody here to offer you assistance.  [That's located in your user settings.]

BaronJ:
Hi Richard,

Not quite what you were looking for but might help.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Inner_Standard_Cap_Nut_Left_Hand_Thread_p/a12520.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version