Author Topic: New Tractor Shed  (Read 100558 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: New Tractor Shed
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
Only POTENTIAL bacon Will  :ddb:

Today was officially A GOOD DAY. A/ Weather forecast was rotten - drizzle all day, but they were wrong  :thumbup: Rain held off until about four in the afternoon. B/ While Darren was doing his stuff I hunted out and found an elusive hydraulic oil leak on the JCB803 which was far easier to cure than I'd expected. A slow drip onto the left hand track - one pipe from the main pump distinctly damp. I'd previously tightened it's fitting. It wasn't until I projected the rear of the machine over the edge of my loading dock and could look up at the area clearly it was obvious that the leak was dripping down the pipe from a pressure test point that wasn't tightened ! A quick couple of turns with a gloved hand and leak cured - things are rarely that simple  :thumbup:

So early on Gary brought in yet another load of variegated soil - I think this is at least the twentieth but I've lost count - hopefully the last

Darren soldiered on fixing the front sheets - this is the most complex side as it has not only the sloping roof but also the piercings of the two doors to work round.

To get at the left hand side he had to create a hardcore platform for his access device to roll on  - once the sheets were in place he could trim back to the roof line with an angle grinder ready for the verge

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #226 on: August 08, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »
So then for the verge. At this point the heavens opened, and Darren stoically just climbed into his tank suite and carried on  :thumbup:

The verge and capping piece went on fairly easily and then it was just a case of a bit of a tidy up, and leave site. He has other commitments Wednesday and Thursday so play resumes Friday.

Another 'event' today was the appearance of the Roller Shutter Door fitters to take final measurements before they make the roller and personnel doors - all the way down the country from Bolton in Lancashire  :bugeye: :bugeye:

Door will take a few weeks to be fitted, and needs to be in place before the floor concrete goes down. This morning I bent up brackets to mount the 100 Watt LED Floodlights and gave them a coat of cold galvanising - we'll need lights when concreting if the weather is against us and the door has to be closed
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:16:42 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #227 on: August 08, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

This thread continues to be a fascinating rubbernecker's delight, thank you.  Thank you also for the warning of the two day's break.

The building looks as though it has been designed as a whole kit.  I was particularly impressed by the incorporation of supports for the concrete gravel boards and that there are such handy projecting supports for your siding gauge board.  And yet you are left to trim the cladding sheets to the angled roof-line?  Did the suppliers include drawings for Building Control & Planning?  (I forget what you told us at the beginning about the differences for approval of agricultural buildings.)
Do you have an appointment yet for the Google Street-View camera?  Or the Google Earth over-flight?   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

I think a large   :mmr:  decal painted on the roof would be a good feature. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
Pete, this is a variation on a standard design for a "Grain Store", where keeping rodents out is considered desirable !

Usually the concrete sides would be considerably taller, and also normally the building would be much larger - this is only 1800 square foot which s small for an agricultural building.

Yes it's designed as a "whole kit" in order that it can be gone over by a structural engineer and granted "CE Approval" that the demi-gods in Brussels demand these days.

I think to trim the sheets before delivery would be pushing their luck, as things move, and aren't necessarily as square as the designers drawing board.

Had full planning permission been needed they would / could provide full drawings, but this has been built under a "28 day Notice" which allows me to build up to 5000 square foot each year if I want so long as the building falls under certain usage and construction requirements.

All I had to do was provide a site and location plan, along with a description of the materials used and external appearance on the application form.

Google Streetview still hasn't found my newish farm name signs - no doubt they will catch up - they have included some tracks I've created by driving tractors in their map library !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
First a photo of the brackets I made yesterday to mount the LED Floodlights - they span the two highest Z Purlins

Got a couple of minor things done today on the T / S :

a/ Mounted the 8x4 of 18 mm 'Water and Boil Proof' plywood onto the Z Purlins ready to take the main electrical distribution box, the CAT5 & Telephone termination box, and also the Roller Shutter Door control box. I stiffened it first with four vertical bits of 4x2 on the reverse.

From the way the Z Purlins lie the top had to be secured with 'sheeting screws' as the back wasn't accessible, but the bottom is held by 6 mm coach bolts and nuts as I can get my hand round the purlin for the nuts!

b/ Made up the Termination Box for the CAT5 and Telephone cables ready to mount on the above board.

I'll not actually mount anything on the board yet until the concreting is done, as it's bound to get pretty messy when that starts - lights and roller shutter will be fed temporarily by wander leads
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
'No Show' by Darren on Friday - I've not chased him as it probably wouldn't help - just hope we see him on Monday  :med:

I decided to start moving that huge 100 ton pile of earth from the field to round the back of the shed where it's needed - my kit is a lot smaller than Darren's - I've moved one entire 8 wheeler load, which took 11 of my Thwaites 2 cylinder dumper loads. That approximately equates, as it's a 2 ton dumper and an 8 wheeler load is about 20 tons.

It looks a particularly unimpressive heap in the pictures, and the remaining 'hole' seems flattened by the camera, but in reality they are large 'objects' If the weather holds and I can escape family commitments I'll see if I can 'rinse and repeat' tomorrow (Sunday)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
As I'd hoped, I moved another 20 tons this morning. No pictures, not a lot of point, one pile has shrunk and the other grown  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
I managed two trailer loads of rubble to the local CA site, and three loads of funiture across town for a mate, Sunday I was "resting" Tomorrow is post hole borer time to put up some outdoor runs for my cousins Kennels, they breed rough collies under the name "Wicani"  Then we have all the indoor kennels to make from OSB3 and 3x2 framing, that will be done "when wet" Should keep me out of mischief, and unfortunately, out of the workshop, for a week or two:-( I have decided that the main workshop area floor, (6mx9M) laid in 1974, is beyond redemption, and is coming out to be relaid with new mixconcrete. really not worth patching it up, so when Tony the conc is free I have a job for him! Good progress on the  shed Andrew, all is safely covered in!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
So at 5 pm today Darren re-emerged from hibernation  :lol:

(In fairness he'd been doing urgent repairs to a grain store door)

He started building an earth platform on the side of the shed where the 'Pig Palaces' are in order that he can run his motorised access lift there to fit the heavy galvanised steel guttering, and more easily finish off screwing down the roof sheeting.

Hopefully he returns tomorrow .......  :med:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
A very wet night with loads of rain made the platform that Darren formed yesterday a soggy mess  :bang:

While things were drying off we put the flood lights up and I've wired them temporarily to a plug and socket as I can't be sure where the final switches can go until the people installing the roller and personnel doors have done their stuff

After that Darren went back up on the roof and did the final screwing down of the corrugated fibre cement roofing sheets
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »
Then to dry up that platform Darren scooped up some of the earth that I shifted at the weekend and overspread in on the platform as it was still quite dry below the surface.

This let him get his motorised lift round to start putting up the galvanised gutters.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
It was pretty dark by the time he left, and I couldn't resist going back out and trying the flood lights to see how effective they are: Answer - Very  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Jo

« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2017, 04:11:50 AM »
 :scratch: I assume you are not putting the back on the shed until the doors go in to avoid the wind pulling the loose sheets about.

It is looking a very useful space but I am not sure if the front door is tall enough to take a Traction engine chimney :(   

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »
:scratch:
It is looking a very useful space but I am not sure if the front door is tall enough to take a Traction engine chimney :(   

Jo

It should he OK, traction engine chimneys are made dis-mountable for that reason!!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Give me the Traction Engine Jo and I'll see if I can squeeze it in  :lol:

Back sheets going on as I type - photos later. He left the back off until the roof sheets were fully screwed down, as the door opening faces the prevailing wind (roughly West) and there's every possibility of flying sheets with strong gusts.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »
Hi there, Andrew,

I'm enjoying this thread.  But then you've never put up an uninteresting thread yet!   :thumbup:   :clap:   :thumbup:   :clap: 

Please forgive me if you've already answered but as it's a tractor shed, shall you insulate beneath the floor slab?   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
No Pete it will just be a 6" slab of concrete. This will be an unheated building, just to keep the weather off my various bits of agricultural plant.

I may even get all keen when it's up and dismantle the JCB 803 digger, replace a whole load of bushes and given it a fresh coat of paint - so far I've not had anywhere to safely do it and leave it in bits out of the rain, and this building will let me get at it with the forklift to do all the heavy lifting in relative safety and comfort.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
So as promised a few pictures of the rear wall cladding going on. Rather repetitive I'm afraid but at least it's now done  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
Having clad the rear wall we were able to get the downspouts fitted, and as rain is forecast overnight we have fitted temporary 90 degree bends and pipe leading away from the building. Eventually there will be roddable traps where the 90 degree bends currently are.

Then we need to add a fair amount of height to bring ground level behind the shed up to meet the concrete floor. To this end I've ordered yet more lorry loads of earth - another four eight wheeler loads  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
That drop down to the stream is looking steep enough to warrant a fence now Andrew :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Oh yes Pete, it's getting a bit like the Grand Canyon  :bugeye:

... but we need more earth to level off the rest of it and form a consistent batter to the slope. When that's done and it's been adequately compacted I urgently need to get some foliage growing on it to keep it in place.

There will be a standard stock fence enclosing the little L shaped paddock behind the shed, with gates (4 foot to right of front and 10 foot on the diagonal corner ) and it will be a handy place to corral stock for short periods such as shearing and lambing.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #246 on: August 17, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
No actual progress on the Tractor Shed today  however Gary did bring in another 8 wheeler load of very nice topsoil  :thumbup:

Only problem was he got his lorry stuck on the field  :bugeye:

It took an awful lot of backing up and taking runs at it to get back to firm ground due to the not inconsiderable amount of rain we had last night - still he tells me he has loads of it in his yard - very handy as it's such nice stuff and can go on top of the crud we've been using  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Again no actual progress today as we were sans Darren once more, however Gary braved driving on the field (having got stuck yesterday) and brought in a further three eight wheeler loads of rather nice topsoil - so that's four loads stockpiled and a further two due in in the early part of next week  :thumbup:

So hopefully the landscaping around the back and sides of the shed can now go ahead.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
So the day began with one more load of topsoil thanks to Gary, bringing the stockpile in the field up to six loads  :thumbup:

Darren chipped away at the corner concrete stanchion footings to correctly set the height of the roof drain and then started on making the form-work to define the outer edge of the floor slab,
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »
I then got him to pull out an old chainlink & concrete post fence that was well beyond it's sell by date that ran down the side of the shed. The idea being that the earth buildup can extend to the boundary with the new stock fence planted on top rather than at the bottom of a slope. This increases the useful area and makes the fencing easier.

The fence we pulled out had been 'repaired' in many places with every sort of wire mesh and tat that you can imagine
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex