Author Topic: New Tractor Shed  (Read 100556 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: New Tractor Shed
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
So having moved two tractors (one with grass flail, one with hedge flail, neither of which wanted to start  :bang: ) and got out the Fork Lift to shift a stillage of logs, a lamb weighing crate, a set of Ford 4000 foreloader arms, a fertiliser spreader and a 3 point linkage set of forks at least the 'dog can see the rabbit' and I can get the JCB 803 in to clear up a bit and hoyck out those stumps.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Jo

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »
That reminds me of one of my work colleagues: His friend had this dirty great oak stump in the middle of his "lawn". He couldn't be bothered to dig it out so they hatched a plan that also had the advantage of getting rid of some old bags of fertiliser. Holes dug, fertiliser in position they didn't expect it to do much..... So they withdrew a reasonable distance and let it off......

He told me first the earth moved then they heard the bang of the fertiliser: The stump flew a good forty foot in the air and landed with a thump not far from where they were laying. Needless to say they were still laying there recovering from the shock when the police turned up.

The police plied them with cuppas and listened to the story all the time trying to keep straight faces. In the end they told them : " Now lads you won't be doing that again will you" before they could no longer control themselves and broken down is fits of the giggles

Jo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:29:32 PM by Jo »
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
Rather a frustrating day today - objective was to dig out those two tree stumps, and if time permitted start burning the tops.

Pulling the Alder out was dead easy - shallow rooted and no match for the JCB 803, however the Hawthorn was a different matter altogether  :bang:

Started digging round it, found what I think are all the side roots, chopped them off with an axe or in some cases with a hand saw - heaved and pushed with the digger to no avail. Dug even deeper all round, found no more roots, and still it wouldn't come.

Dug out the Tirfor winch, using the tank as a ground anchor - giving it a good 3 ton pull no movement, pulling with the digger while winching - no movement  :bang:

So I thought I'd sleep on the problem and set too burning the tops. Usual problem with green tops - keeping a heart in the fire. Had to re-light twice. So far about half the pile has reached the fire but not yet all of that is actually burnt.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:19:47 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
So the day got somewhat better - when I'd managed to shove enough of the tops on the bonfire to make a passageway for the digger, I could use it to compact the branches eliminating the issue with the heart of the fire burning away to an open void.

At this stage things at last began to happen at a reasonable pace, and I was able to clear the pile of tops with some hope that they will all be ash by morning. I've done a couple of 'sides to middle' rounds with a pitch fork, so hopefully not much will be left by morning.

..... by heck that was a hard day ... a pair of Ibuprofen tablets washed down by a couple of cans of Old Specked Hen might improve things  :lol:

(pictures a bit grainy as it was pitch black when I'd finished)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
I did wonder how you were going to get on with those roots. I had a bit of a problem with some poplars. Started with a 7 ton digger, then had to hire a 13 tonner.
Even the latter would barely carry them to my roadway, after they had been hiked out.
Good luck
Pete

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
...hope that they will all be ash by morning

Hmm, from Hawthorne to Ash, transmutation of wood?  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
Wow Andrew... I think I need an ibuprofen just from seeing the work you did. Man, that is quite a bit!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
 :clap: She's OUT  :clap:

After a huge struggle, the Hawthorn (Hawthorne?) root IS OUT - hoo blooming ray. Poor old Clive the gardener arrived this morning expecting to rake up leaves and got roped in as 'banksman'. This is a big improvement having a 'man on the ground' as when I was wiggling it with the digger, he could spot soil movement revealing where the remaining roots were.

It finally took the Tirfor pulling at the same time as the JCB 803 to tear out the remaining, albeit smaller, roots under the main root ball. Having dragged it onto 'dry land' it was too heavy for the digger to pick up before I cut off the remaining 'firewood logs' to lighten it. After this I could just pick it up sandwiched between the dozer blade and the bucket, and trundle it off into a corner of the field where it can stay until I decide what to do with it.

To give some scale to this animal, the hurdles that are beside it in the last couple of pictures are 6 foot long - the pictures of the hole don't do justice to it's size  :bugeye:

Now I just need to fix the chain saw (anti vibration mounts collapsed) and fix the Tirfor (release cable lever doesn't do what is says on the box) and I can collapse in front of a fire for the rest of the day  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
There are bowl turners who would probably die for a piece of root like that! I don't know how good hawthorn is to turn, but it must be interesting in there! Dried a bit, pressure washed and sawn up could make somebody very happ!

All the best, Matthew.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
... and they'd be very welcome to it if they come and sort it out for themselves  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
For such a narly old root bole some woodturners might even pay you for it!

Trimmed of all the little roots and stones and then sliced virtically it would make a dinning table or two worth a few grand!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:01 AM »
Hi there, Andrew,
Glad to see you're getting to the root of your problem!   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb: 

:offtopic:  But here are my wishes to you for a Happy St. Andrew's Day.   :beer:   :beer:   :beer: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 07:12:53 AM »
Thanks Pete - well today's task - start unbolting the tank.

Originally, they have laid a slab, bolted 20 four foot square 1/4" thick pressed panels together, then laid concrete inside the tank and a flaunching round the outside, to make it water proof. Plan is to unbolt as many of the fixings as possible, then Darren the contractor will come in with his big digger and pecker, and break up the concrete and pull the panels out of the mess. Slight problem - some of the bolts are buried in the concrete so will probably have to be cut off with oxy-acetylene, but I want to unbolt as many as possible first to save the cost of the gas.

I have a humungous 1" drive air impact wrench made for the job. These are 5/8" Whitworth bolts that have been in situ outside since the 1960's, so the threads are pretty rusty. So having fed the pigs the important thing is to get the road compressor started, as it's minus 7 Deg C here  :bugeye:

I'd expected to have to leave it on charge over breakfast, but amazingly it started off it's internal battery (which I'd rejected from my Discovery two years ago!)   :ddb: :ddb:

So a bit of manoeuvring reversing it into position set up the hoses, connected the air impact wrench, stuck it on a nut, pulled the trigger - NOTHING - no rotation, just air passing straight through the tool  :bang: A few choice words and I dug out my baby 1/2" air impact wrench, but it just hasn't got the guts for the job.

OK take a break and investigate the 1" drive wrench.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:37:46 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 07:16:58 AM »
Obviously the air motor isn't turning, could just be frozen grease in the bearings as it is stored in an unheated workshop. I pulled the handle end off and exposed the bearing - sure the grease was stiff but not that stiff. Put it back together and tried to pull off the impact end. Four cap screws with 6 mm allen sockets - three came off fine but undoing the fourth one my allen wrench sheared off leaving a stub in the hex flush with the top  :bang:

So a bit of improvisation - I drilled through the broken bit with a cobalt drill (I love cobalt drills) and screwed a self tapping screw in that acted as an extractor and pushed the stub out - hooray  :clap:

OK so now the impact end is exposed - the rotor that holds the weights that give the impact was seized solid - however grasping it and turning it firmly freed it off - could have been stiff grease, or possibly a bit of rust (though non apparent) but now it's turning freely so shove it all back together and get on with things. :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »
Now those bolts don't stand a chance - however if ever there was a case for a 'tool balancer' this is one - that impact gun is unbelievably heavy, and really needs two hands but how do you hold the spanner on the other side  :scratch:

Most bolts came out easily, but with some at the top and bottom the socket just spun - then it dawned on me - they probably loosely bolted the panels together at the top and bottom, then went round stuffing bolts in the holes. They must have used a different box of bolts for these two operations - the hex sizes are different  :bang:

So having taken out about 45 bolts I'm taking a break for lunch and seeking out a smaller socket. Trouble is the 1" to 3/4" to 1/2" conversions for the square drive - not sure what I have that will fit - a job for after lunch.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »
Andrew

hope by now you've gathered in all your nuts? :lol:

Given the weather here ( 10c on Christmas day ???) I assume you have made progress and are contemplating a crater?? I'll just be glad of some relaxation time in January. People keep being ill , it's damn inconvenient at times. Still not in on duty Christmas, Boxing or New Years day this year ( woopie!).

I take my hat off to your enthusiasm and skill in this :beer:.

Hope the piggies had a good Christmas? The ones that assisted my turkey were excellent but, as I'm in Thirsk, I doubt they're yours?

Have a successful 2017 and keep us updated.

Ian

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »
There are bowl turners who would probably die for a piece of root like that! I don't know how good hawthorn is to turn, but it must be interesting in there! Dried a bit, pressure washed and sawn up could make somebody very happ!

All the best, Matthew.

If they have to collect it and do some work it will still be there in 10 years time.

Andrew,
Drill three series of  holes, one in each stump with a forstner bit and open them out., you want about 4 -5" diameter and same deep.
Keep tipping a bit of red diesel in for a couple of months and then fire it up.

Got rid of a big fir root that way.
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 02:57:06 AM »
Thanks Ian and John. Yes stumps are out leaving a massive crater, tank panels are largely unbolted (anyone want a bucket of 5/8 UNC bolts / nuts about 1 1/2 inches long - must be nearly 20 kgs)

Just waiting for Darren the shed builder to get his act together.

Things slightly complicated this end, what with Christmas, sons wedding on the 30th, New Year, and wife flying out to Texas for a couple of weeks to stay with other son, and me left with quite a bit of animal care. I don't see much being done until the second half of January.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
Andrew

hope wedding goes well. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wife away for couple of weeks- I sense a toolinvesting opportunity here...... :D

Have a successful 2017 and hope all goes well for tomorrow :med:

Ian

Offline Jo

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 04:16:22 AM »

Wife away for couple of weeks- I sense a toolinvesting opportunity here...... :D

Careful you'll get caught  :bugeye:

She may not spot the extra items in the shed but if she is responsible for the accounts :wack: 

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
I'd try " But Honey it is for the greater good! "

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
I'd try paying cash !!! :D :D

Happy New Year one and all. :beer:

Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2017, 03:45:09 AM »
I've never had a problem 'importing' things for the workshop. She barely notices what I'm doing and certainly hasn't a clue about my 'projects'. It often makes me smile to think that the Madmodders around the world know what I'm doing, but not 'Er Indoors' !

Happy New Year everyone.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
Well ten steps backwards and two forwards  :bugeye:

My 'shed builder' has been rather overwhelmed with work - in fairness it's fixing machinery needed for the season and he's prioritising that over what in actual fact isn't a life or death project. He's confident he'll have it up and workable by the autmn.

But to get things moving forward, Pete had very kindly offered his expertise breaking up the slab that the tank is sitting on, so that the individual 4 foot square panels can be released and scrapped. They were originally sat on the slab, bolted together, then more concrete poured round them to make it waterproof, so the concrete has to be broken to release the panels.

I understand that he is bringing a remotely operated electrical robot concrete breaker tomorrow - so this should be fun :ddb:

But before he comes I needed to expose the outside of the tank all round so that the slab on both sides of the panels can be accessed, and as there are water and electrical services running beside the tank, expose them so that they can be avoided.

First I went down the west side of the tank, mainly by shovel, exposing the water and 415v 3 phase that rests on the slab:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2017, 06:55:59 AM »
Then I needed to remove a very heavy 6" cast iron pipe that originally was the input to the tank. This was in the way of getting the JCB803 down that side of the tank to expose the panels.

I was fortunate in that there was a flange / bolts / flange compression joint 8 foot away from the tank, that I was able to cut the bolts on and release the pipe. It was then hauled away by JCB.

This then let me get at the two remaining sides that needed trenching out to expose the panels
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex