Author Topic: New Tractor Shed  (Read 100566 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
New Tractor Shed
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »
On Tuesday afternoon (22/11/2016)  I received an eMail from the local Planning Department giving the go ahead for my new Tractor Shed.

I had deposited a '28 day Notice' with them which if you farm agricultural land over 5 hectares effectively gives them an opportunity to raise objections, but if there are none you can go ahead. However the way the system actually works is that they send out their consultant, who makes you jump through a few hoops and then he decides if he feels the building is 'reasonably needed for agriculture'

When they've done all this then they decide if the scheme falls in the criteria for permitted development or if you need to put in for full planning permission. Obviously the former is much easier as they only demand a 'site plan' roughly locating the building, rather than full detailed drawings as needed for planning permission.

One criteria is the the building development total area is less than 465 sq metres which this easily is, but one locally was turned down  as the hard standing and access track together with the building totalled more than that.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:13:34 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: New Tractor Shed
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
So what is the building to be :scratch:

45 foot long, 40 foot wide, 12 foot eaves and a 15 degree pitched roof. 15 foot wide by almost 15 foot high electrically operated roller shutter with a pedestrian door beside it.

Walls will be dark green zintec profiled sheeting with the roof in fibre re-inforced 'big 6' corrugated sheets with fibreglass roof lights. The bottom 500 mm of the walls will be pre-stressed concrete panels to keep the sheets out of the ground and give something to form a 150 mm concrete floor up to.

Currently the site has a huge water tank and a few shrubby trees on it that will have to go, and as you can see from the pictures, there is a bit of ground to be made up to form a base to lay a slab on

In anticipation of getting the go ahead I've been in discussions with a local contractor who has modified buildings for me before. Nowadays steel frame buildings have to be 'CE Certified' or you can't insure them, so this effectively rules out what he was previously doing ie building them from scratch from I beams etc. Now he orders a complete building, pre-made that is delivered as a kit to site, and he does the ground works and erects it. Good old EU squashing the little man :(

He may be able to put a few days in before Christmas to start breaking up the tank and it's base, meanwhile I need to cut down that hawthorn bush that is really a small tree  :zap:

The sooner we can get some fill in to make up the levels the better, so it can be settling for a few months before work starts in earnest in the spring.

..... bankruptcy here we come  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
Andrew,

"Nowadays steel frame buildings have to be 'CE Certified' or you can't insure them," That's insurance, not EU! Here in France, you can still do what you like!

All the best, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
No Matthew - it's an EU harmonisation thing

http://www.steelconstruction.info/CE_marking

And the Insurers always insist on things 'conforming' If this isn't happening in France then they obviously are ignoring the rules - surely not :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
Andrew,

I stand corrected, although, I am still free to do what I like in my own place in terms of construction and Electrical installations. You have a lot of regs that are much harsher in the UK than her in France.

All the best, Matthew

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »
Nowadays steel frame buildings have to be 'CE Certified' or you can't insure them, so this effectively rules out what he was previously doing ie building them from scratch from I beams etc. Now he orders a complete building, pre-made that is delivered as a kit to site, and he does the ground works and erects it. Good old EU squashing the little man :(

Can't you wait a couple of years? Maybe the CE mark requirement will just go away......?  :scratch: :palm:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline charadam

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
"12 foot eaves and a 15 degree pitched roof. 15 foot wide by almost 15 foot high electrically operated roller shutter".

Looking forward to seeing how you make that fit!

Good news on the go-ahead.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »
"12 foot eaves and a 15 degree pitched roof. 15 foot wide by almost 15 foot high electrically operated roller shutter".

Looking forward to seeing how you make that fit!

Good news on the go-ahead.

Andrew did say the shed is to be 40 feet wide

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
As long as the door is tall enough to get the ready-mix lorry in, he'll be fine.  :wave:
Pete

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
Assuming main roller shutter door is central - which is what is intended - with the Apex of the roof being about 17 foot 4 inches a 15 foot door theoretically fits, but in practice with the actual positioning  of steels to support it the clearance under the fully raised door will be about 13 foot 6" due to the roll of the shutter blind being above
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline charadam

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
     You're putting the shutter in the gable end, aren't you.
 http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/doh-45.gif

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
Oh yes.

Weather forecast OK for tomorrow so I may be able to make a start clearing the site. I've stacked a whole load of 6" twin wall 6 metre pipes down the side of the tank - need to find somewhere else to hide them before that Hawthorn tree is felled and crushes them.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »
Ok Andrew fess up ,is the new building really for tractors ,or for more machines ,http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/side2side.gif

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »
Will this "tractor shed"benefit the pigs in any way??

I do hope so!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »
No chaps, despite your suspicions, it is genuinely for storing tractors, jcb's, flail mowers and the like. I have a farm yard of this sort of stuff that sits out in all weathers slowly dissolving

The idea is that anything that goes in there will be on wheels or easily moveable so it can be cleared out completely with ease, as it'll make a grand venue for a barn dance !

As for the pigs Will, I'm sure that they'll appreciate a nice clean dry stock trailer when the need arises for them to travel  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 04:33:42 AM »
So no point in hanging around - may as well crack on  :thumbup:

Once the livestock were sorted, I pulled out my cache of pipes and re-located them. I think that they are actually intended as large electrical ducts. They were given to me a few years ago by a friend who had to give up his farm and are too good to throw away, but I've only used short bits over the years :scratch:

Then I set too with the Hawthorn tree. Flipping awkward thing to fell - being a hugely over grown hedge shrub is has many limbs all emerging at just above ground level, with all their tops inter-tangled.

Got the first major limb down and the tops dragged away, so now in for breakfast and let the blood get back into my legs  :bugeye:

I'll venture back out once the post man has been
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »
So back to it after breakfast. Eventually got the lot down, but there was so much hanging over the pig sty's it was impossible to avoid dropping some on their tiled roofs, despite pulling the limbs with a ratchet strap whilst cutting. Never the less minimal damage done - a couple of tiles I think of which I have spares.

Taking the Alder down was a breeze by comparison as i had room to drop it over the tank. Lots of good logs to cut from those limbs and a lot of clearing up to do,  but that will have to await until tomorrow as I'm knackered  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
 Andrew,

I'm glad for you that you got your Planning Consent.  It looks from the photos as if you're 'making space while the sun shines', rather than hay!

I remember reading, years ago, an account in Ideal Home Magazine about a couple renovating a derelict Scottish castle (as you do!).  Apparently the building was well infested with woodworm.  The guy wrote that he obtained a lot of alder logs and distributed them around and throughout the building.  He reckoned that alder is the wood boring beatle's timber of choice and so, over a period (and a few breeding cycles), the woodworm migrated from his structural timbers into the alder.  When this process was complete, he simply burned the alder logs! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Bee

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
If you haven't already planned for it it would make sense to prepare one section of the concrete floor over insulation so that one day if needed it can be partitioned off as a workshop without the base being a terrible heat sink.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 03:27:11 AM »
Bee, nice suggestion but just across the yard from where this shed will be I have about 1000 sq foot dedicated workshop with 100 mm insulation under the slab and on the walls and ceiling and its heated by fan assisted radiators off it own boiler.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
So another day of playing with a chainsaw and I've managed to clear away all the tops into one pile, and pull out anything worth logging, and chopped it into suitable lengths for the log burner  :thumbup:

Having now been able to get close to the pig sty roof and inspect the damage I'm pleased to see that it is minimal - just two broken tiles.

I've left the stumps with a fair bit 'sticking out' as this will give me more leverage with the JCB 803 when the time comes to dig them out. Just need to work out how / where / when to burn that huge pile of tops - certainly moving them again would be a major task, however they are sitting on a decent lawn which it'd be nice to preserve. Oh why did I sell my tractor mounted shredder  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
Now if you leave the tops a while Andrew, given the state of genetic engineering and the bioengineering lobby they might get picked up by a few pterodactyls for nesting purposes? :D

More seriously could they not be dragged into use as hedging "hole fillers" . We have several "holes " in hedges locally where amateur rally drivers have found they're not as good at cornering as they think.  :doh:

You might find a local wood turning group are interested in the stumps once they're out?

All the best Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
Current plan is to have a bonfire in the old tank to lose the tops. It'll have to be in the corner where currently there is an automatic filling water trough used when I've had pigs in there. It was due to be removed before the tank is broken up, but I plan to dig down to it's feeder pipe tomorrow morning, isolate it and pull the trough out.

(Has to be in this corner to keep flames away from other trees)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
This:

might give you some ideas on how to deal with the stumps. Warning! The whole story is a) true, and b) very funny, worth watching to the end  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 04:45:56 AM »
Very good Ade, Blaster Bates is much missed  :thumbup:

I wasn't looking forward to digging out the water feed to the trough as it's a mixture of hard core and earth on top of it, so I thought best get on with it - these things are best just faced up to.

In the event it was a doodle - once I'd got down low enough to expose a bit of blue pipe, careful trowelling got it sufficiently laid bare to cap it with a blanking plug.

(If you look at the picture of it exposed, slightly lower is a duct carrying 415v 3 phase, so careful work was needed)

Needless to say the bolts holding the trough in were thoroughly rusted after a few years underground, but succumbed to an angle grinder and cold chisel allowing me to recover the trough and clear the site for the bonfire  .

So the job was finished by 09:30 which will give me time to shunt a few things around in the yard so I can get at the site better, before I have to take the wife out for her Sunday Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puds
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex