Author Topic: New Tractor Shed  (Read 101049 times)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: New Tractor Shed
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:48 AM »
Hi Andrew,
      One of the simple pleasures in life, to me at least, is watching someone skilled in their work. One that sticks out to me was a tiler putting new tiles on our kitchen wall after the new stove, sink etc were installed.
      He was dealing the tiles onto the adhesive like playing cards. He would stop after 15 or so and sight along the wall to check for straightness and spacing. Very occasionally he would give one a gentle nudge then proceed.
      What he did in 45min would have been a day or so if I tackled it.
Good to see and read of your progress (adventures?),
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Biggles

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
Glad your build is getting along despite the weather. I just wondered if you are breading Turkeys for Xmas? :)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
No turkeys thank you - I have a friend who does, and a friend who did and got his fingers burnt !

So today was the grand delivery day for the 'Tractor Shed on a Lorry' - supposed to be here about 12 noon, so before that the remains of my 'hardcore pile' was transferred to the shed base and pushed about a bit to get it vaguely level. Still need to add about 100 mm and to that end I have ordered two 20 ton lorry loads, due tomorrow after noon, of crushed concrete '75 mm to dust'. This will make a good finish layer.

In the remaining time Darren continued building up the stream bank to for a roadway access to the triangle of land behind the shed. He incorporated those heavy duty iron pipes that we pulled out as reinforcement, We also 'lost' that huge root that caused me all the grief in the early part of this project.

Then the shed lorry arrived and there was a great bustle about  unloading it and putting it where it wont get damaged.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
So with all that done Darren started Vibro-Rolling the hard core.

The 'master plan is to spread a bit of the 'crush'  on it tomorrow to give a good working surface. The shed will then be erected with the 500 mm concrete side panels above the crush a bit which will be made up to 'final pre-floor' level. Then the concrete floor will be laid with about 50 mm above the panels on the inside, and 25 mm on the outside to prevent rain entering. Apparently this is standard construction for grain sheds so I'm happy to go long with it  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2017, 05:02:23 AM »
Friday was a bit of a clearing up and tidying day while we waited for the 40 tons of crushed concrete to arrive. We needed to clear a path through to my stock trailer as it was needed at the weekend, and also move an old shed that the grandchildren had a few toys in, before it was 'land locked'  behind the new tractor shed.

So first out came the 'toy shed' on the Telehandler (handy bit of kit, I wish that I had one!) and then changing it's forks for a massive bucket we moved four lorry loads of top soil (80 tons !) from their piles in the field to round the back of the tractor shed. This not only formed a base on which to stack the side sheeting and 'Z Purlins' but also considerably  re-inforces the built up platform to stop things spreading. Eventually it will be tapered as a slope outwards, but we left it level as a running surface to help during erecting the steelwork.

It was all a bit hectic, as the Bull Calves in the field, being inquisitive, wanted to put their noses into everything and wander through open gates, and the field gate obviously had to be open for shifting the earth. As a safety precaution we closed the gate between the inner and outer farm yards, but of course the pair of eight wheeler lorries AND a cottage guest AND the Tescos delivery that the guest had arranged all turned up at the same time. Never mind, my hair can't go much whiter  :ddb:

As things calmed down a bit Darren spread the first 20 ton of crush as a working surface inside the Tractor Shed, then Vibrorolled it in. When the steelwork is up, we can bring the sub-surface up to final level ready for concreting.

We should be 'good to go' to start bolting all the steelwork together on Monday - after all it's only very heavy 'Meccano'  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2017, 05:19:50 AM »
So this weekend is the 'calm before the storm' with just little planning and sorting type jobs.

Perhaps I should first explain that each duct that I lay for cables is always left with at least one 'pull through' rope for future use. And usually you need rope twice the length of the duct if multiples of cables and pipe are being installed.

As my reel of 'pull through rope'  - which is three strand 6 mm o/d polypropylene - was running out I had ordered and received a new 500 metre reel, but although mounted on a cardboard tube, it had no cheeks to keep it in order. So yesterday I made up a pair of 4 mm plywood cheeks, and some metal collars that nicely slid onto the bit of scaffold pole that I used as a core (nice tight fit in the cardboard tube), and tack welded the collars to the tube to hold it all together.

Today I decided that my previous arrangement of just plonking the reel in a box to stop it rolling all over the place when the rope is pulled was unsatisfactory. Time to make a proper 'reel holder'.

Step forward the ubiquitous CNC Plasma Table. In no time flat, a bit of 2 mm Zintec sheet was cut to profile, a couple of bends in the Edwards Box and Pan Folder, and a reel holder emerged - axle is a bit of 20 mm steel electrical conduit.

(The reel is about 12" diameter)

Oh I DO love my CNC Plasma Table  :lol:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
Hi there, Andrew,

That's all looking good.  Just one query, though:

What gauge is your 'siding' and roofing?  If the piles I can see on your photos really do contain enough, it must be thin enough to need careful handling! 

Beware sharp edges!!! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
0.7 mm Peter, which is painfully thin, but that's what they use these days. It's electro-galvanised and plastic coated, but the base is as I say painfully thin. :med:

Roof sheeting is fibre reinforced cement, which is pretty thick. I could have had the same as siding, but the first time a bit gets bumped it would break, whereas the electro-galvanised steel just bends and looks grotty !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
Very neat cable reel. But, if it was mine, it would be rolling all around the floor as the rope came off. The gremlins are obviously much kinder to you.
Pete

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
Pete the carrier is quite weighty, and with the lead out down into a hole and pulling gently it should be fine. Even the old one that just sat in a metal box 'sort of works' !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
Today we got off to rather a slow start - the weather wasn't too good in the morning and also Darren had brake issues with his trailer. However 15:30 brought him here along with yet another toy - his self propelled access platform.

Having unloaded it he got on with exposing all the hold down bolts, removing their greased cardboard cones, and setting packing pieces to a laser level to bring them all up to an exact height.

Then he started placing the 'goal posts' that form the sides of the shed and take the portal frames for the roof.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
Then it was the turn of the concrete panels. These will be embedded in the concrete of the floor, and are 500 mm tall - their purpose being to keep the side sheeting out of the ground and reduce rusting. They create a watertight joint at floor level, with the outside being formed an inch or two lower than inside.

The 'shed kit' came with a pair of crimped cable lifting eyes that screw into sockets cast in the panels. The panels fit tightly on their length between the webs of the 'goal posts' and rest on brackets that are integral with the posts. As they were such good fit each post had to be tilted a bit by slackening it's bolts, to get the panel in - a very dodgy looking operation  :bugeye:

All but one of the side panels were installed before it became too dark.

Play resumes tomorrow !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
At last, we begin to get an idea of the scale of this mammoth project..... so, just how many lathes machine tools tractors do you anticipate storing in this monstrous construction??? Looking at that 2nd to last picture, it has to be good for at least 9 tractors, maybe more?

Great project BTW. Knocks my old office into a cocked hat. One day, Mr Mawson, I will do something bigger than you! One day!  :scratch:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
One day, Mr Mawson, I will do something bigger than you! One day!
Good luck with that one pal! :beer:
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2017, 02:21:25 AM »
Ade,

It's the space to manoeuvre vehicles inside a building rather than the theoretical packing in space that is needed here. The shed floor will be 1800 square foot but that doesn't mean that you can easily park 18 vehicle each 100 foot square. There has to be dead space.

Nice big shed though, isn't it  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2017, 04:52:16 AM »
Please, sir, please sir,

How did you unload the self-propelled elevating platform from the trailer?? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2017, 05:25:04 AM »
Rather dodgy ramps Pete   :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:45 AM »
Andrew, that's a very appealing method of construction. I had never seen a barn put together, (apart from my own one) which had the erection (of the steel :-) ) included in the price. The fitters assembled a complete bay-joint on the floor then hiked it into place with the JCB Loader. So now I'm not sure which way would be preferred.
Good luck with the rest of build, and following with interest.
Pete

Offline mattinker

« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »
Ade,

It's the space to manoeuvre vehicles inside a building rather than the theoretical packing in space that is needed here.

Nice big shed though, isn't it  :lol:

It's got to be big to do the occasional Barn Dancing!! It's going to turn that end into a farmyard !

Looking good so far!!

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
Nah 🤔

It's so he can accommodate the JCB back hoe digger dance demonstration team at the next barn dance. I'm serious there is such a team!!
Looks good
 Are you installing running water or relying on the locals to do it for free again ?
Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
Water will certainly pass through the building on it's way to the pigs & chicken, not sure if it will actually be used / accessible in the shed - no real need.

Major progress with Darren putting in a long day. First he fitted the last of the concrete panels, and then went about fitting the six Eaves Beams.

When this was done, an extra 8 wheeler / 20 ton load of sandy topsoil arrived to build up behind the shed. He was able to reverse inside and tip through the open rear wall to save numerous Telehandler journeys  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
Then it was the turn of the 'Portal Frames' and their bracing beams
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2017, 06:16:12 PM »
Then the posts that go either side of the main roller shutter and pedestrian doors. These 'hang', are then squared up, and then anchor bolts are drilled into the concrete footings. This is unlike the other posts, where the anchors were cast in the concrete
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
At least now it looks like a shed  :thumbup:

Obviously there is still much to do structurally: The front and rear concrete panels need fitting. Numerous 'Z purlins' have to be fitted. The floor hardcore needs bringing up to 150 mm below floor level. Then the roof sheeting can go on. Then 150 mm of concrete needs floating to a smooth finish. Then the wall sheeting . . . .it goes on and on  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
 Another good day Andrew, you will be inside before you know it!
Phil.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?