Author Topic: DIAMOND & GRIT CUP WHEELS  (Read 2886 times)

Offline ieezitin

DIAMOND & GRIT CUP WHEELS
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
Hi lads,

I know nowt about these things I need some guidance.. 

I have made a tool grinder for grinding HSS my spindle rolls around at 3300 rpm. I want to grind on the face and if possible on the side wall of the wheel.

Do I need a roughing wheel and a fine grind finish wheel or a all round wheel if there is such an animal. Are they better than regular wheels? what are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Do they need lubricating? How long do they on average last? who makes a good quality wheel and why?

All knowledge shared on this subject is welcome.

Thanks

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Pete.

Re: DIAMOND & GRIT CUP WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
I use a diamond cup wheel to put a fine edge on hss and stellite lathe tooling, for grinding tig tungstens and carbide scraper tips/lathe tools.

Here's the one I use. They usually last me a year or more, so pretty good value. You can't use it for hogging Hss blank - you'll need to use a standard abrasive wheel for that but it will hold up well making adjustments and finishing edges. When new they can be somewhat rough but soon dull down to a consistent grit level.

Offline Manxmodder

Re: DIAMOND & GRIT CUP WHEELS
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
Anthony,
Very much the same as Pete does,I also use various diamond flat discs bonded onto an ally carrier wheel and also the cup wheels,but only as Pete says for keening up the cutting edge on HSS and definitely not for hogging or shaping.

You really need a carborundum or green carbide grit wheel for creating the basic tool shape. Also note that a good deal of material can be hogged of quickly with a 115mm grinderette and grinding or ultra thin cutting discs.....OZ.

Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up