The Shop > CNC

Stopping a PC accessing the Internet ?

(1/7) > >>

awemawson:
I have a PC running Windows 7 driving my plasma cutter table. At the moment it is 'stand alone' ie NOT on my local network as I don't want external interference from the likes of Microsoft poking up dates at it. However I DO want to communicate with it from other PCs on my local network.

As the Plasma PC uses Ethernet to talk to it's various drivers and torch height controller, it is set up currently as 192.168.10.154 so is on a different 'sub net' from the rest of my local network which is 192.168.1.XXX

The plasma PC has only one Ethernet card as do my other PC's.

Is it possible to run two subnets on one ethernet card so that the 192.168.10.XXX CANNOT access the outside world and the 192.168.1.XXX CAN ?

Any help appreciated

Pete.:
I'm sure you can't run one (standard) adpater on two separate subnets but you can block access to the internet from it in your router.

You used to be able to only bind a non-routable protocol like netbeui to the adapter which will only communicate on the local network but I don't know if that is an option nowadays. I'm sure it must be somehow, or something similar.

David Jupp:
One option would be to add an extra Ethernet port to the PC (internal card or USB/Ethernet adaptor)  each can be on separate sub-net.

As long as http isn't used for comms between units that need to talk, then maybe consider using the PC firewall settings to block this (and any other ports Microsoft might use for updates).

As already mentioned - you may well be able to set the router to isolate certain machines from the internet.

sparky961:
I'm sure I accomplished this using the "hosts" file, but do you think I can find a good example now? Of course not.

I suspect I redirected all domains I could think of (.com, .net, .uk, .biz, etc) to the local loopback interface. This doesn't stop direct IP requests, just causes domain name lookups to fail.

If you're interested in this method there are enough keywords  above to get you started Googling on your own.

woodguy:
I do it using wireless for local net connections. Just stuck in a wireless usb adapter and done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version