Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Lathe mounted slotting attachment

(1/9) > >>

Spurry:

In order that I can avoid the possibility of arrest for Cruelty to Lathes,   :palm: (see the vice speed handle thread), to make any future square holes or keyways I thought it best to make a proper slotting attachment, instead of using the lathe carriage.

I have found an old toolpost that I made for a large? 22mm boring bar. Just fits in place of the QCToolholder. A thought passed through my mind that this could be a good basis for a slotter, with the ram on one side and a pivot on the other.

Looking round the internet there seem to be many variations on a theme. One I looked at, even had what appeared to be four pivoting links, so not quite sure how that worked in practice.
Has anyone any tips or advice especially handle/ram ratio and placements of pivot points. I am looking at mounting a 22mm ram in a 100mm long x 60mm square of cast iron bar mounted in one side of the toolpost. (Size chosen as I have a 22.00 reamer.  :wave: )

The toolpost is 75mm square with a 12.00 central hole and is 50mm tall. The old boring bar sat at lathe centre height, (in the rusty bit.)

TIA
Pete

DavidA:
Just wondering how the assembly will stand up to the rather jarring action of the cutter being used. Won't it tend to try and rotate around it's central bolt ?

Dave.

Spurry:
Thanks Dave, I had wondered that too. On the QC toolpost there is a pin that locates the block in line with the top slide. With some careful measuring I could add such a pin to this toolpost, but not sure if in it's design it was meant to resist possible turning motion, or just as a locator for squareness.  :scratch:
Pete

mexican jon:
I'm not at home so can't take a picture of mine  :( but it is based around this 1 which I found on the net  :thumbup: it uses an original top slide but is similar in design as to your thinking  :headbang:

Pete.:

--- Quote from: DavidA on December 04, 2016, 04:20:37 PM ---Just wondering how the assembly will stand up to the rather jarring action of the cutter being used. Won't it tend to try and rotate around it's central bolt ?

Dave.

--- End quote ---

Can't see it being a problem. Cutting a few thou deep every stroke doesn't require much force.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version