The Shop > CNC

Thinking of getting a CNC mill, tell me about the bridgeport series 1 interacts

(1/6) > >>

stvy:
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a CNC mill, at this stage I am not sure what to look for. I have a bridgeport manual mill and am part way through rebuilding it. I had planned to convert it to CNC but am having second thoughts as it may be smarter to go with a machine designed to be CNC. So please tell me about the bridgeport series 1 and 2 interacts. The reason I am looking at these are:

1. I am guessing it is mechanically similar to the manual series 1. Which I know a little bit about.
2. The QC30 spindle means I can keep all my QC30 tooling I have for the manual bridgeport and don't need to buy more, well not straight away. Am I correct to think the QC40 spindles are on the series 2? These might be a bit big for me, but I am open minded.
3. I am guessing the weight is in the 1300 Kg area which is about the most I can handle by myself and get in to my home workshop. (Up a nasty path from the road.)
4. The size of work it can handle is plenty big enough for me.

I am looking to spend less than £1000. So don't mind a project and I don't mind a full tear down but am hoping not to have to do a full rebuild. I'd like to have an accurate machine when I am done. Does anyone have a link or know of the basic differences across the versions over the years? I'd like to go for a DC servo equipped mill.

Mechanically what goes wrong?  Are any of the ways chromed or hardened? I can't scrape hardened or chromed ways so I'll need to know they are in good condition. I've learned that any failed lubrication to a manual bridgeport results in nasty wear.

Regarding controllers, I don't know anything about the different versions, 150, 151, 151B,etc. Any pointerS?

Thanks,
Steve

awemawson:
Steve,

Interacts are extremely solid versatile machines much under rated by many. So long as the controller is AT LEAST a TNC151B then you can drip feed infinitely large programs generated by your favorite CAD/CAM set up, but prior to the 151B you could not drip feed, just load memory up to its max buffer. 151B and onwards it keeps filling the buffer as the machine uses the code, so it can go on for ever.

I hope you find a good one, be picky and don't take the first / cheapest.

AdeV:
I have an Interact 1 Mk2 - and I'd highly recommend it. The Mk2 has a variable speed motor, so it doesn't need the electrically controlled vari-speed head (and therefore doesn't have any double-cone pulley issues); on the other hand, you can't tilt the head, which may (or may not) be a restriction you can/can't live with.

I'd agree with Andrew's comments - the TNC151 controller is the oldest one which supports drip feeding, and since virtually any CAM-produced program will exceed the 999 program steps of the basic controller's memory, so make sure your machine has at least that. I believe the TNC155 will do graphics too.

Also, I'm not sure you'll find one for less than a grand... I paid £1600 for mine, and that was a bit of a bargain. Even so, I've since had to shell out around another £300 in parts to keep it running (blown servo motor), and around another £1000 in preventative spare parts (like a main motor & some more servo motors).

stvy:
Thanks Andrew. Nice tip on the 151B. Is there any place with a marking on the machine to 100% confirm a controller is the B variety?

I am open minded on the future and changing controllers. However it would be nice to get a running machine at least until I take it all apart  :) Also I am happy to play a waiting game I just want to know what machine and controller type to be on the look for that fits for me. There seem to be a few mills out there with the TNC2500 controller. The seem to be from £5000 and up which is too much for me. But what are the advantages of the 2500 controller? Also maybe if I need to keep the costs down I need to consider the controller being dead. It seems my budget is too low for a machine with working controller unless I get very very lucky which would be something I am not accustomed to. ;-)

I really know very little about these machines other than what you have taught me and what google is telling me and the fact that the series 1's column and knee are similar to the manual series ones.

Series 2 interact seem to be QC40.
Series 1 interact seem to be QC30. MKII seem to have fixed DC drive heads.

Right now I am thinking a Series 1 MKII, which seem to have the fixed DC servo motors head which is fine for me, and now know to look for a 151B controller or later. Or don't worry about the controller and instead think of converting to mach or linuxcnc which in the long term is no problem but in the short term I'd rather get up and running.

Thanks,
Steve

stvy:
Ade,

What is the weight of the Series 1 MK II?

Thanks,
Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version