Author Topic: power hammer  (Read 4766 times)

Offline smiffy

power hammer
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
 To make my wooden  clock tower I needed to make some framing pins to hold it together before the final fitting of wooden pegs.
I need to make about 20 of them and after years of using hammers[usually a 7 pound hammer with a short handle as a club hammer] my wrists and elbows are starting to get worn out. So I decided to build a power hammer .

Searching tinternet cme up with this site https://www.kensiron.com/kz100
Brought some steel  and started making this

Steel plate are 6 feet by 30 inches and 12mm thick, anvil is  12 inch  by 1 inch plates by 24 inches long  and will be bolted into a frame with the idea that they can be removed to make it lighter to move  .
 Base plate is a piece of 30mm thick plate

The hammer will be a 1metre length of 65 by 50 bms sliding in oil impregnated nylon and operated by a 60mm bore hydraulic ram running on compressed air

Offline tom osselton

Re: power hammer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
To make my wooden  clock tower I needed to make some framing pins to hold it together before the final fitting of wooden pegs.
I need to make about 20 of them and after years of using hammers[usually a 7 pound hammer with a short handle as a club hammer] my wrists and elbows are starting to get worn out. So I decided to build a power hammer .

Searching tinternet cme up with this site https://www.kensiron.com/kz100
Brought some steel  and started making this

Steel plate are 6 feet by 30 inches and 12mm thick, anvil is  12 inch  by 1 inch plates by 24 inches long  and will be bolted into a frame with the idea that they can be removed to make it lighter to move  .
 Base plate is a piece of 30mm thick plate

The hammer will be a 1metre length of 65 by 50 bms sliding in oil impregnated nylon and operated by a 60mm bore hydraulic ram running on compressed air

I tried your link it says " A secure connection could not be established " and dosen't load on my tablet!
Anyone have any ideas whats causing this to happen? It's not the only site doing it even Nesbit and burns for my stocks dont load!

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »
The link works for me now (about 5:50 pm pacific standard time).

Quite a project Smiffy.  Please keep us informed as it is quite interesting.

Thanks,

John.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
Yes. Quite the project. Since swmbo is smithing now, the idea of a power hammer interests me. I will be watching this... may even attempt in a year or so.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
Eric

just make sure she can't cut the leg irons off and chase you round the workshop :lol:

Really fancy a forge but have actually reached the limits of what I can accommodate ( and what SWMBO will tolerate !) :(

Looking forward to seeing this one progress smiffy

Offline smiffy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
Unfortunately I won't be doing much for a couple of weeks as I am a bit over run with that nasty thing called work .

Have a couple of things to ponder   .

I intend to use a Hydraulic ram as I have one of the correct size and   heavy duty air rams are expensive . I am not sure how the seals will stand up but will use plenty of oil in the air . Also intend to use a  5/2 hydraulic valve to control everything as 1/2 bore 5/2 lever operated  air valves seem to be hard to find  . Finished weight should  be about  1 ton

The next problem will be on how big a lump of concrete to stand it on
A friend of mine who has  a  modern Sahinier  power hammer has it bolted to a block of railway sleepers  that sits on a concrete foundation but not bolted down  It works well so might go that way. Anyone got a big compressor for sale?  Mike

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
Looking forward to watching your build!

Offline smiffy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
Made some progress on the hammer guide and ram mounts today.

Should be ready for starting to weld it together soon   

Its starting to get a tad weighty now , the ram guide is all 25mm plate  and  with hammer shaft weights about 150kgs

Next I need to obtain some large lumps of steel for the hammer head and anvil block ,need 2 blocks of steel about 150 mm square .
 http://www.anvils.co.uk/ sell tooling for power hammers but at about £250 a piece which is a bit more than I want to spend .
I will try and get some railway track to modify  Mike