The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Swarf Brushes

(1/3) > >>

Joules:
I use quite a few in the shop here.  The other day I turned some horrible cast iron and pretty much contaminated every brush within reach trying to keep the machine clean...  I failed and needed to service the lathe, I was about to throw out all my brushes when I hit on an idea.  Drop them in the ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and washing up liquid.  Press and swirl the brushes a few times to open them up and let all the accumulations drop out.   Overnight the brushes on the stove ( or radiator) they are clean and good as new.

I won't leave it as long between cleaning brushes now I know this works.   The ultrasonic cleaner is a real cheap <£20.00 job I have had for years and a handy little device for small items I work on.  Maybe it's time I bought a better one ?

Will_D:
Drop in a magnet at the bottom of the tank - even better

awemawson:
When machining cast iron, hold the nozzle of the shop vac in the line of fire and you'll collect a good 90% of the black dust if the vac is any good.

Biggles:
The shop vacuum is always a good idea.

A WELLWISHER:
Hi chaps, the workshop vacuum is indeed a good idea, there is an occupational disease called Turners Lung caused by inhaling cast iron dust, I have only ever personally known 4 people who acquired it ( in the 54 years that I was a turner) but none of them said that coughing up rust was fun. Of course in modern times one has the benefit of high pressure coolant, swarf conveyers & high powered overhead  fume extractors but not generally in your shed or man cave.
A.Wellwisher

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version