Author Topic: Swarf Brushes  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Joules

Swarf Brushes
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
I use quite a few in the shop here.  The other day I turned some horrible cast iron and pretty much contaminated every brush within reach trying to keep the machine clean...  I failed and needed to service the lathe, I was about to throw out all my brushes when I hit on an idea.  Drop them in the ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and washing up liquid.  Press and swirl the brushes a few times to open them up and let all the accumulations drop out.   Overnight the brushes on the stove ( or radiator) they are clean and good as new.

I won't leave it as long between cleaning brushes now I know this works.   The ultrasonic cleaner is a real cheap <£20.00 job I have had for years and a handy little device for small items I work on.  Maybe it's time I bought a better one ?

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: Swarf Brushes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
Drop in a magnet at the bottom of the tank - even better
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:49:34 AM »
When machining cast iron, hold the nozzle of the shop vac in the line of fire and you'll collect a good 90% of the black dust if the vac is any good.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
The shop vacuum is always a good idea.

Offline A WELLWISHER

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
Hi chaps, the workshop vacuum is indeed a good idea, there is an occupational disease called Turners Lung caused by inhaling cast iron dust, I have only ever personally known 4 people who acquired it ( in the 54 years that I was a turner) but none of them said that coughing up rust was fun. Of course in modern times one has the benefit of high pressure coolant, swarf conveyers & high powered overhead  fume extractors but not generally in your shed or man cave.
A.Wellwisher

Offline Biggles

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
I have a filter in my Vacuum!  :thumbup:

Offline Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:59:08 PM »
If that vac is not a "wet and dry" with the motor outside but just a regular household one make sure the bag is well filled with wood shavings and general dog hairs first to act as a pre-filter for the bag and motor cooling air. :thumbup:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
Shop vac is what I use too, during and after. I have a twin-motor numatic I got off eBay for £50, does wet and dry.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
I get plenty of brushes from work they by pant brushes use them ones then bin them I just fetch them home and clean them 

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »
Mostly, I use throw away sample pot paint brushes got em free from local paint shop. But always clean up before leaving the playpen for the day with my $50 el-cheapo vac. Sadly, after 5 years or so I can smell hot wire insulation each time I use it now, just waiting for the blue magic smoke to appear.
  Incidentally, I made a small cyclonic separator in line and it works fine. Bag in vac gets very little stuff unless I have turned plastic. That seems to float in the air stream rather well - light mass, high surface area I guess.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »
Yeah, my cyclone rocks too, but strings and napkins give it heartburn.  Or maybe rotor burn ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk