Author Topic: How hard it is to plug NEMA 5-15P to 230/115 VAC converter in EU?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline PekkaNF

I used to have pretty good collection of EU/GB/US cables/adapters and stuff, but this one has stalled me for hours.

RE: Drill doctor has NEMA 5-15P (three prog) plug
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11802.msg139844.html#msg139844

I went trough my collection of foreign cables/adapters/plugs and found transformer for 115 VAC, but when measured it pushed out nearly 150 VAC without load and it had two prong USA connector. When I checked it inside I was not impressed and decided to chuck it. Insulation and wiring was not really up to today's standard.

Then I raided my adapters and really don't have from US to Schuko - grounded adapter.

Drill doctor has NEMA 5-15P (three prog) plug and I have another single ended transformer that has a nice output near 115 VAC. Great. Only slight snag is that it has IEC 60320-C14 panel receptacle.

There are some adapters 3 prong Plug Adapter, USA NEMA 5-15R to IEC 60320-C14, but they are not common here. I ordered one and though that I must have some sort of adapter to gobble for spade connector in mean time....no luck. Neither I have any 3 prong receptacles or pig tails.

OK. I can cobble up stuff for testing etc. but actually I need nice panel mounted receptacle for NEMA 5-15P plug. I was having hard time finding a nice one. Can anybody help me with the correct terms or link one. Some of the shops do no send sell stuff globally (they say they do, but really don't) but least I could get a good lead.

Thank you,
Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: How hard it is to plug NEMA 5-15P to 230/115 VAC converter in EU?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:02:57 AM »
Can't you just cut the plug off and fit whatever your local standard is  :scratch:

Thank goodness we never 'harmonised' our UK plugs and sockets with the EU - so much better having a fuse in the plug so all plugs can be the same but fitted with differing fuses to suit the appliance, and EVERY plug has an earth pin even if not used / needed. Foreigners complain that they are chunky, but at least they don't fall out of the socket   :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »
Nope.

Local standard is schuko cee 7/eu1-16p et.al. 230 VAC. Hole for grounding is for frencies, we are here more deutlich.
http://www.internationalconfig.com/prod_shot/70150-A.jpg

I don't want anybody (including me) to plug accidentally 110 VAC device on 230 VAC.

I was considering of ditching the original cable and to put IEC 60320-C14 cable on drill doctor, but the only cable I have is heavy not very subtle and honestly I'd rather keep the drill doctor as it is......therefore I need three prong receptacle. Minimum complicatios.

Or that I though. I would like to get one little sqare one, bit like this:
http://www.qualtekusa.com/images/AC_Receptacles/NEMA_5_15R_Power_Outlet.gif

Looks like easy to fit on excisting hole....haven't found any yet except on china/USA...

Might need to order this, even when it is not very elegant:
http://www.tme.eu/gb/details/s24-3_18_0.5bk/universal-and-computer-power-cords/bq-cable/

I have spent some time in UK and although your domestic plug is ok (and easy to replace with real plug) :lol: don't get me started your system on mills and sites. I don't get what is the big idea on the fuse on the plug - unless you have one-size-fits-all sockets and klozy sparks.

Pekka

Pekka

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:47:46 AM »
The fuse in the UK plug is there to protect the cable from plug to appliance, so it doesn't overheat and cause a fire in case of a fault.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:25:50 AM »
We are here getting a bit OT on fuses and britt plug. I am sure it is well thought off and very rooted in British culture, but I don't like the blanket idea of the fuse in the plug. It's bad for fuse selectivity on the branch box, can be replaced inapropriate one and new tools/electronics should be designed to fail safely. Pretty much only credible real world benefit for fuse in the plug is that salvaged plug/cable is used on other application it was originally designed.

Anyway, Works like charm now, but I want better/permanent solution and there are options. I'll order something this week end and try live with temporary solution for a little while. Minimum postage from many shops from germany is about 9€, might order some more connectors and cabling stuff for other projects as well.

Pekka

Offline mattinker

Re:OT!! How hard it is to plug NEMA 5-15P to 230/115 VAC converter in EU?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
OT I'll be brief! The fuse in the plug follows the principal that you have a fuse when you go to a smaller section of cable, of course people abuse, put in oversize fuses, pieces of wire and Al foil but that happens in fuse boxes as well! Bear in mind, this system was developed for 32amp ring mains, ie. the power points were on a 32 amp fuse that is connected to a loop rather than a single line the cable section was something like 4square mm (from my memory of what the cable looks like), the fuse limited the socket to 13amps. It is a very good system from an electrical point of view, but, it is more open to abuse!

Regards, Matthew