Author Topic: ER 40 Collet Set  (Read 8480 times)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
ER 40 Collet Set
« on: December 18, 2016, 05:35:56 AM »
I am looking for a decent set of ER 40 collets
With a R8 holder
Some of the imported ones seem to cheap to be true .
I am making a chuck for my Harrison lathe
John

Offline John Rudd

Re: ER 40 Collet Set
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »
John,
Not sure where you are looking, but I got a set of ER32 collets and an MT3 collet chuck from CTC tools...OK they may be from China but the accuracy was pretty good( not that I measured it...) and the quality seemed comparable to some of the mainstream suppliers..
Iirc, I paid around £65-70 delivered with no hidden extras...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Ed ke6bnl

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »
I have ER32 China nice quality just got it and have not checked the run out but fit and finish is great. still waiting on the collets. then will do a test.
1950 Ford F1 streetrod
1968 ecotec powered Baja Bug kink coil overs
1953 Chevy AD ready for 4 cyl. cummins and nv4500

Offline stovebolt

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
I've been using an ER40 chuck on my 7x12 for a couple of years now, A couple of the collets are a little
 out but not enough to matter for me.  I even use round collets to turn square bar. 
 Both the the collet chuck and the 24 peice collet set are Chinese.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11821.msg139411.html#msg139411

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »
A while back I bought a set from eBay.  They were probably the cheapest I could find, and I may have even mentioned it on here at the time.

The finish was horrible.  I had to file edges and remove lots of burrs.  The runout on the ones I checked wasn't great but probably ok for my hobby use.

Bottom line is that next time I get collets I'll be going for higher quality ones.

Offline Jo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
I have a set of ER collets in a box somewhere or other :scratch: the collets seem ok if you accept that it is a double taper collet that cannot hold short ends  :coffee:

Personally I stick to 5C collets - The Chinese 5C collets are good. The Chinese 5C chucks more often than not need their registers machining properly to get them to run true then they too are ok. DA collets are also good but you have to buy them from USA for $3 each and get stung on the import duty  :bang:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
...it is a double taper collet that cannot hold short ends
I do it all the time; just this morning gripped an aluminum off-cut by a mere 1/8".  All you have to do is plop another short piece of the same diameter in the back end of the collet & grip away!:)  I have a few hat shaped pieces of the most commonly used sizes all ready to go. :beer:
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline Jo

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »
I do it all the time; just this morning gripped an aluminum off-cut by a mere 1/8". 

1/8" is the best part of a mile... a 5C will happily hold on 0.8mm (1/32" in imperious measures)  :thumbup:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:34:06 PM »
On ebay bog standard chinese can be what ever. Usually all promises of accuracy are purely fictous along materials, hardness. etc. Some are really appaling low in quality.

As said on chinece the ones sold by CTC and ARC are much better in general.

If you need real tools and not just tool shaped objects I can recommend LAIP, Spanish comppany and stuff I have bought there has been made in europe. Least 6 years ago it was.
https://www.laip.es/
There was a tool shop in this village and they ordered the stuff from the catalog and I got allways the stuff in a week or two, I did need to pay catalog prices, but there were no surcharges or such. Bough Ortlieb collets and such. Not really that much more than chinese/indians if you find a place where they sell these.

Then there is price....normal good quality ER40 collets cost about 16 EUR/pcs and you get brand name, brand precison. Ultra accurate (relative in ER collets I don't see much use in our world) REGO-FIX 1140.23001 DIN 6499-B are about 40 EUR/Pcs.

Would German made standard collets be good enough? One option would be Fahrion.
 Engineering Supplies.co.uk, but ask Simon first. Looks like he is limited to ER32
http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/tool-holding-collets-c-171.html?menu=1

ER32 brand name collets would be about 13 GBP a piece:
ER32 Collets (6 micron) Fahrion
http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/14mm-15mm-er32-collets-micron-fahrion-p-6707.html

I'm geting few collets for "testing" there. I'm trusting more on rigidy than utmost accuracy. How good the spindle can be?

R8 is a pretty small...do you really need ER40? Nut tightening is to about 170 Nm.

my few eurocents...

Pekka

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »
John

in a way you get what you pay for, i have the Chinese collets and some are not bad and work fine but i wont lie its a crap shoot i have a couple of fluffy ones too....

I said bollocks to it about 18 months ago and made a ER40 collet chuck with a slack register that way if i need dead nuts precision i smudge it with a soft drift I don't need to do it often you know yourself it don't take long..

Hope this helps

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
...it is a double taper collet that cannot hold short ends
I do it all the time; just this morning gripped an aluminum off-cut by a mere 1/8".  All you have to do is plop another short piece of the same diameter in the back end of the collet & grip away!:)  I have a few hat shaped pieces of the most commonly used sizes all ready to go. :beer:

Like DICKEY says,I also have a full set of ER 40 collets and use the same trick as him if gripping short,stubby workpieces. I have a disc type collet chuck and also square and a hexagonal block collet holders which came from Arceurotrade.

The square and hex blocks a really handy if work is being transferred between lathe/shaper/pillar drill. Makes putting a hex on a piece a doddle in the shaper....OZ.

Collet chuck: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Lathe-Collet-Chucks/ER40-Lathe-Collet-Chucks

ER Collet block/fixtures: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Fixtures
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mattinker

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
I haven't yet tried them yet as I just bought from RDG the oversize collets that go from 26 to 30 mm thus extending the capacity by a use full amount. I don't have a complete ER 40 set as I already had An ER 32 set so from twenty down was somewhat superfluous!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline Biggles

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
I saw some on the web, refurbished by maker the advert said. Don’t know what that means. But keep an eye out for you John. :coffee:

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
I even use round collets to turn square bar. 

Dooohhh! Never ever thought of doing this!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 02:57:31 AM »
well its the same old thing haw mutch do you want to pay
go for wat yopu can a ford  :mmr:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 06:39:13 AM »
Hi John, there are some ER40 Collets at a reduced price from APT. don’t know how accurate you need them and at what price, but this set is £118.80 inc. Vat.
ER40 24 Piece Collet Set 3-26mm contains 24 standard ER40 collets in 1mm increments contained in metal box with foam inserts.
Max Runout 0.015mm at 4XD
https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/collet-sets/er40-24-piece-collet-set-3-26mm.html

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 07:18:08 AM »
I buy my cutters, etc from Cutwel.

Seems to be good quality and the ER collets are the low run out option.

http://www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holding/tool-holder-accessories/er-collets-er-collet-nuts-and-wrenches/er-collets/er-collet-sets

Cheers

Sean

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
The set I have came from Cutwel when they had a promotional offer on them. APT's offering would also likely be good. Cutwel do offer an alternative super precision set of ER collets,but the price is somewhat higher.

Also worth considering when buying a chuck is to opt for the tightening nut fitted with ball bearings. This makes a massive difference to the efficiency and reduced effort required to tighten the collet down......OZ.

Ball bearing nut: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Nuts-Wrenches-and-Spanners/ER-Collet-Nuts-with-Ball-Bearing-Type-B
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »
Yep got my er 40 collets from cutwel .good value for the money £120 inc the vat .they do some good promotions.worth a look on there website .http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/dancenana.gif

Offline nrml

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »
I bought a set of ER32 collets from Chronos on the basis that I could return it or request a replacement if I had any problems with it. I couldn't fault the Chinese made collets I received in any way. I've found both RDG and Chronos very good as far as customer service is concerned.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 03:52:26 AM »
I have a set of ER25 collets and MT2 holder from CTC which are fine for normal use. They aren't Schaublin quality but I haven't found any problematic runout.
Best regards

Roger