Author Topic: Mad Ebay prices  (Read 10231 times)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Mad Ebay prices
« on: September 04, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
Have I missed something? I have just bid for, and won, an Eclipse magnetic base for £3.40. About an hour later a similar one, albeit rather cleaner, sold for £23. Why on earth are the prices so different?
I'm not complaining, the one that I have won looks entirely useable. This is the second that I have won on Ebay for a similar price yet many seem to sell for high prices.

Offline ieezitin

Re: Mad Ebay prices
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
not unusual ....its the way it is.... the power of the internet.

i have made a living off Ebay since 1997... i have been in the auction game since 1989. The buyer is responsible for the market. The key to a good auction buying experience is knowledge of your particular interest and current market prices.

Patients helps as well. This gives you a advantage.

Enjoy your near free purchase.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:19:43 AM »
you were lucky the stuf I bid on seems to go through the roof .
Jeff

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »
you were lucky the stuf I bid on seems to go through the roof .

When do you place a bid?

If an auction runs for 7 days there's little point in placing a bid on day 1 for someone to outbid you an hour later.

It's not like an auction at your local auction house which is over and done with in seconds.

I always wait until the last moment before placing my one and only bid.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:54 AM »
Yes Phil, that's exactly what I do. I decide what I'm prepared to pay and make my bid as late as possible. If I'm outbid there is no time for me to bid again.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
Lately the automatic computer bidding makes it just an exercise in frustration. You can be high bidder with five minutes to go and some software program makes five bids which keeps probing until they found out how much to just barely outbid you. If you look at bidding history you will see two bids in seven days and then five bids in the last five minutes. Frequently by the same bidder using a third party with high speed connections. The only thing which limits the frustration is to bid what you think the item is worth and just forget it until in the end you either win or loose. The biggest problem is if you are looking for some specific item and there are several of them available with similar end times you may end up with more than one if you bid on more than one. 

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:19:56 AM »
I've never relied on a bid engine. I like the thrill of the chase, so to speak. I will wait until 3 or 4 seconds before the end and then bid. I've won lots of stuff this way, especially items with few bidders. Also, time of day makes a lot of difference. As already said, decide what you want to pay and bid that amount. What I don't agree with, though, is placing a bid early on. It just brings out auction fever in others.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the new automatic bidding system. In the past people used third party software to snipe ebay auctions. I feel like everyone waiting for the last 5 seconds effectively makes it a silent auction so it'd make sense to just make it work that way so you can bid and forget, instead of having to set an alarm clock 10 minutes before the auction ends. For a more 'authentic' auction it'd make sense for any bids to increase the time limit by 30 seconds or so, but that'd always lead to the scumbag with the deepest pockets always winning.

I hate using ebay, especially in the way that it requires you to act like a scumbag to win them, but it is unfortunately the cheapest way to get ahold of certain items even if it is a hassle.

I'm trying to assemble a high vacuum system on the cheap. Right now i'm trying to get ahold of some high vacuum pressure gauges but they're a hot item going for high prices. It's really despairing assembling a list of potential auctions and having them all go stupidly high in the last 5 seconds.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
I use Auction Sniper almost exclusively these days. Means I don't forget to bid, and only bid up to a considered sensible limit, without danger of getting carried away with auction fever. Their charges are modest and so far they've been reliable.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
I don't know what "Auction Sniper" is. I just wait and bid in the last few seconds. I certainly miss some because I forget the finish time. Last year I somehow bought a car £1000 below market price because nobody else bid. Other times items that I really want go for stupid high prices. I don't understand the logic behind it. but it is fun.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline GordonL

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
Bidding in the last few minutes may be fine for some but I do not want to stay up until 1 AM to place a bid and I do not want to be tied to a computer just to be able to bid in that last few minutes. Unless there is a compelling reason to be bidding on an item like being hard to obtain or a very low price it is just not worth it to me. Saving a couple of dollars but giving up valuable time is not worth it therefore generally my approach is to wait until the last day or so and then bid my maximum and win some and loose some. I do not get excited by the thrill of the chase.

inthesticks

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »
The occasional great deal on e-bay is one thing but the occasional scumbag seller who does not bother to fix a minimum bid is another. On a couple of occasions I have run up against this. In one example a $10.00 bid won a new $100.00 gear box. The seller was quite willing to accept the price and shipping funds but when it came to shipping all I got was excuses. E-bay was no help, I had to threaten the guy with high bids on the rest of his items with no intention of following through before my funds were returned. Lost a couple of bucks on the exchange, not a big deal but who needs that kind of BS.

Cheers
CB

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
I mostly rely on "manual sniping" - typically bidding in the last 5 seconds of the auction. Even the sniper programs have a hard time with that...

I did use a sniper program once - there was a very specific item I wanted, I was in Spain at the time, and a thunderstorm was due in which I knew would kill my internet connection right at the vital time. So I registered with an apparently popular and safe sniper setup. Won the auction (the snipe worked perfectly); but a week I discovered I was apparently selling a bunch of DVD box sets... Once bitten, twice shy, I will never use any auction sniper program again, ever.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Well, I'm kitted out with magnetic bases for the rest of my life. In the last two weeks I've bought three of them, the dearest £6.00 and the cheapest £3.40. The cheapest one turned out to be a real bargain, it has all the gubbins to mount a dial gauge, (dial gauges were my last mass search and purchase on ebay). It is obviously homemade but really well done. Great big knobs which make the locking an absolute wheeze, just a quick twist to nip it up.
Whatever people say about Ebay it is great for bargains if you bide your time.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
I spoke too soon. The third base arrived today, it is an Eclipse 903, and to my dismay I found that the button is seized. I have £6 invested in this, including postage, so it hardly seems worth returning it. Are these things able to be serviced? It appears that the label needs to be removed to get at it. Can anyone advise me before I set to with a bl**dy big 'ammer?

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
WD40 and my big rubber hammer fixed it!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
Soak the hell out of it with gun oil.  That will free it up and dissolve some of the crud.  Flush it with WD-40 and you should be good to go.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
What's gun oil?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 03:58:15 AM »
What's gun oil?

Oil for guns....

You can probably use any light machine oil, sewing machine oil for example, as an alternative.

Personally I wouldn't flush with WD40 - which leaves a residue which eventually goes sticky and gums things up.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »
Be VERY careful asking for gun oil.  :bugeye:

Whereas you and I might imagine a light lubricant with possibly rust preventing additives, in this dubious age it seems to refer to an altogether different concept.  :lol:

https://www.gunoil.com/technical/faq

How the world has changed  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »
I'm glad that I asked!

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
Hi

I bought this..

This..

And this for a tenner at a bootsale (I was happy enough paying these exhorbitant prices!!)  :thumbup:

John  :beer:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
may i ask what part of the country you roam Johnbaz?  :drool: