Author Topic: 1946 air compressor rebuild  (Read 6602 times)

Offline Andrew Wildman

1946 air compressor rebuild
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »
Unfortunately my Grandad passed away a few months ago. I guess I am a bit a chip of the old block as I shared his interest in making things.  He left a number of tools including an air compressor which was handed down to me.  I cleaned it up and read the data plate which stated date of manufacture Oct 1946!

I checked that it worked (as he had not run it for a while) and then stripped it down, cleaned the paint from vulnerable areas of the tank and pressure tested the tank.  I did this by filling it with water and pumping it up to pressure with a grease gun.  The max working pressure is 150psi so I pumped it up to 230 psi (~1.5 X) as is typical to pressure equipment directive for this sort of thing.  Original test pressure was 300psi but I did not dare go this high.

The legs in the picture are of my son running away when I told him he was too close!

After a bit of paint.  notice the Aldi special in the background that it will be replacing  :D

Offline Manxmodder

Re: 1946 air compressor rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Is that a vintage Atlas Copco by any chance? I had an old Atlas for about 10 years. It looked very similar to yours but it had to go when I last moved workshop as it was 3 phase.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Biggles

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
I wouldn’t dare test something like that Andrew. I understand they make a loud noise when they pop!  :bugeye:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
I wouldn’t dare test something like that Andrew. I understand they make a loud noise when they pop!  :bugeye:

Which is why you do a hydrostatic test.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:20 AM »
It's badged Dunlop but the pump is by Levis (nothing to do with jeans) and the tank by CEG.

When I realised how old it was I was not letting it get up to pressure until I had hydro tested it. Worst case if it fails hydro, you get wet. Worst case if it fails with air, you get disemboweled.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
Levis as in the on time motorcycle manufacturers I'm guessing. Anyway,looking closer at the photos it does look remarkably like the Atlas I once owned. Maybe the design was commonly shared but badged different according to brand of supplier.

It's very nice,Andrew. I'm delighted to see you preserving the old girl.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Biggles

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 11:50:37 AM »
Didn't notice the Hydrostatic test John.  :thumbup:

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:15:26 AM »
So I have completed the compressor rebuild:

I also found a spare pump and motor assembly for the same compressor and so am considering rebuilding that also and feeding the same tank with 2 pumps.  We shall see...

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
Nice work Brother.. I am assuming that's a cast-iron head and block due to its era that will last you yonks...

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 01:05:39 AM »
feeding the same tank with 2 pumps ? I woud feed an extra tank maybe removable for partabilaty mutch quieter , I had a propane bottle and fed from that it acted as a air drier , long air lines are a pain .
Jeff

Offline Biggles

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Well done Andrew, looks nice. :thumbup:

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
I refurbed the spare compressor head, reworked the plumbing slightly and mounted on a homemade subframe with castors

The compressor will be used to double the FAD of the complete unit or could be used to fill up the portable air tank (made using an old propane bottle).  As it does not have a tank of it's own it fills the bottle much quicker.  Handy for things like pumping up tyres without having to drag the airline out the door.

Obviously I can move the second compressor head out of the way if I am using the mill.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
That looks like the dogs undercarriage Andrew, love the idea of the portable bottle. Probably do it myself.  Me thinks you win this month’s Madmodder prize.   :thumbup: :mmr: