Author Topic: Christmas project  (Read 4880 times)

Offline jcs0001

Christmas project
« on: December 25, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
We have a "new" granddaughter as of about 9 months back and I decided to make a noise maker for her for Christmas.  I had told my daughter years ago that if she ever had children I'd give them drums and bugles for Christmas :D

Lee Valley Tools (we have a new store nearby as of this last spring) carries xylophone kits - a small one and a big one.  The kits come with the metal keys, mounting screws and a few strips of self adhesive foam.  They also come with instructions however the instructions look like they are about 25th generation photocopies.  Since nothing is too good for granddaughter, I ordered the large 2 octave, kit. 

I had a nice chunk of 2 in. walnut available and ripped it into 3/4 in x 1 in. strips on the table saw.  Being in doubt about the instructions I mocked up the frame and holes several times before gluing it up and drilling a multitude of holes. 

The sticks (drum sticks?) were made with about 15 in. of 5/16 in. arrow shafting and a round ball glued onto each end.  Turns out they were a big hit with granddaughter as she found them great for chewing. 

The instrument sounds alright and I suspect it will be a year or two before she is able to use it as it is meant.  In the meantime her parents can play songs for her.

Of course the instrument needed something to contain it so I broke out the sewing machine and made up a bag for it.

Since it is now Christmas morning here I would like to wish all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I would also like to thank all the members who assisted me (and many others) with ideas, solutions and interest in projects.  Please keep contributing.

John.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Christmas project
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 07:40:13 PM »
Ah the joys of being a grandparent, you can buy the noisy annoying toys with too much fear of the results  :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/