Author Topic: Christmas for SWMBO  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Christmas for SWMBO
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:45 PM »
Bought the Lady Blacksmith a new anvil for Christmas. By new, I mean it is only a little over 80 years old.

I had been searching for awhile. Anything that showed up on Craigslist was either beat to hell or super expensive (Damn Hipsters!) I finally settled on getting her a new one. All the anvils though in my price range were farrier anvils. They all seemed light duty than what I was looking for and none of them impressed her much. Then on the evening I was going to buy it, I stumbled upon an ad on Craigslist that seemed to good to be true. So I sent the guy an email with my number. He called back the next day, confirmed it was available (I was the first to contact him). So I jumped in the car and drove to upstate NY and met the gentleman selling it.

Here it is in the back of the car.

It is only 70 lbs, but it is in fantastic shape. The price, very good. The guy selling it? Very nice... happens to be a knife maker. So contacts made. Invites to blacksmithing groups... All in all, a good find.

Info on the anvil... Was sold in the 20s and 30s by Montgomery Wards at a whopping $12.95 (in 1935)

Link HERE

All mounted up for her and ready to go!

She loves it!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

RobWilson

Re: Christmas for SWMBO
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:26 AM »
So pleased you managed to track down an anvil Eric.    :clap: :clap:

It looks in cracking condition.    :thumbup:

Rob.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Nice, I saw that on craigslist and wished it was closer to calgary so I'll keep looking up here.
I bought a little drillpress for my grandaughter with some diamond drills I gave her a rock tumbler last year and have ordered some Cerrobend on ebay 4 pounds of it to hold iregular shaped rocks.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:51:01 PM »
That's cool Eric I'm glad Mrs Eric is Happy...

I'm on the sofa surfing and I shout out to my wife " Come here Look at what this fella on my forum bought his wife for Christmas" I scrolled down and showed her... then there was Crickets..... remember that scene in 'My Cousin Vinny'  when she is in the court room and shes all pissed off at him from the night before, my wife gets all like that and screeches " A anvil  A *#^_ anvil........ I told her she dont understand then she left...   :loco:

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Anthony:

Just taking a stab in the dark here, but from her response I'm guessing that your wife isn't a blacksmith and further that she has no interest in the trade?

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.