Author Topic: Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)  (Read 335 times)

Offline thecogwheel

Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »
I made a tool post lock and handle for my lathe and I made a video of it:

https://youtu.be/70Jo1Avs-Sk

If you are interested, the drawings for the project are on my blog: https://thecogwheel.net/2017/01/04/tool-post-lock-nut-and-handle/ Going forward I'm hoping to post all the drawings for the projects I do. I will also be sharing the CAD once I get that setup in Fusion.  This project was pretty simple, and didn't really need a drawing, but I want to make them available. 

I also spent some time talking about the taps I use in the shop. I primarily purchase spiral flute bottoming taps for most of the work I do. If you aren't using spiral flute taps in the shop, I suggest you give them a go next time you purchase a tap. They are a bit more limited in the thread pitch and form available (odd ball thread pitches are usually not easy to find), but for standard metric and imperial fine and coarse thread pitches they are easy to get. I still am fascinated to watch the chip spiral out of the hole with the tap in blind holes.  I use them for through holes as well as it helps keep the tooling costs down.  Spiral point taps are my preferred choice for through holes, but you have to buy another tap. 

Offline Buell

Re: Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
Enjoyed that thanks for posting. :beer: Need to learn a Cad program as that would help me visualise things a lot clearer...before i mess them up in the shop ! Nice work though.
If you don't succeed ...try try try again...you can't fail trying.

Offline thecogwheel

Re: Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
I was a fun quick project.

If you are looking to get into CAD, I can't recommend Fusion enough.  I use Solidworks a lot, but I'm actually preferring Fusion for the stuff I do in my shop.