Author Topic: Titivating a Warco Mechanical hacksaw!  (Read 16718 times)

Offline mattinker

Titivating a Warco Mechanical hacksaw!
« on: January 13, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
Between Christmas and the new year, my son, my two grandsons and I made a visit to Andrew Mawson, this was the third annual visit for my son and I. It's fun to visit other madmodders, put a face to a name and see some of the things that have been the subject of forum threads! All three generations enjoyed themselves and I was followed home by the thirty five year old Warco mechanical hacksaw Andrew had offered it to me last year, but I was on my motorbike, so getting it back across the channel would have been a little tricky!. The aforementioned saw had spent the last seven years outside. I finally was able to get it out of the van and into my workshop. The light failed me so I wasn't able to get many photos. Nothing was seized, and the drive belt wasn't even cracked, amazing! It looks as though the original threads on this thirty five year old Taiwanese knock off are Unified, Andrew said that he had bought it from a blacksmith when it was about ten years old, so that might have been when it picked up the Whitworth replacements for the UNC bolts!  I'm not going to restore it, just make it work. I found a switch for $6 from Hongkong and ten replacement blades on eBay for 25€, so far, I can't see anything else apart from the plug and the oil to replace!

I see that the pics are too big, I'll get it right on the next ones!

Offline krv3000

Re: Titivating a Warco Mechanical hacksaw!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
brill

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »
Glad that you got it safely home Matthew  :thumbup:

I will be extremely pleased to see it back in commission - that saw did masses of work for me back in my last workshop and was only not put in service as I'd just got my Pedrazoli before I moved.

Keep us posted on progress
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online charadam

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »
Andrew,

Do you have similar door prizes for every visitor?

I can turn up one weekend in three!

Happy New Year,

Charles

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
Over many years of playing in the workshop, and EBay membership since 2001 I've accumulated rather a lot of 'stuff' ranging from useful bits as material, to things that will be future projects.

I can't take it with me when I pop my clogs  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Hi,
A short video on the Warco Mechanical hacksaw. I took the covers of and oiled it.

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
Matthew, I have a very dim recollection that there was an adjuster on the dash pot system that worked by screwing a pointed bar against an orifice to regulate the rate of oil flow for descent. That thing does two things - it raises the blade off the work on the return stroke and controls the rate of descent on the forward cutting stroke. It's the rate of descent that was adjustable but I'm puzzled that I see no sign of the tweaker  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
Andrew,
I wondered about that, there is a screw opposite the "exhaust" port on the small dash pot, but it doesn't go very far. It's a really clever mechanism that works just with the pistons and oil ports, really neat! From what I remembered of the one we had in school over fifty years ago, seeing the system made my memories of it lifting on the return stroke come back. I know I'm going to enjoy having the Warco, it's got the same sort of attraction when running as a shaper!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Warco only badge engineered it - it was a generic Taiwanese import.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »
Some more on the Warco! I hope it's of interest! I have gone from 9 subscribers to 12 which is a 33% jump!

Regards, Matthew

RobWilson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
Looking good Matthew  :thumbup:

Looks like a very capable saw  :dremel:

Rob

Offline mattinker

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Thanks KRV and Rob,

Andrew, a badged Taiwanese saw that is really well put together!

Thanks again! Matthew

Offline mattinker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:54:05 PM »
More in the WARCO saga, I hope it's not too long a video and won't drive you all to boredom! I've not made very many videos so I'm having somewhat of an uphill battle!

How do I embed this as a youtube video?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:15:51 AM by mattinker »

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 02:11:53 AM »
Hi Matt,

When you're writing your post, have a look at the 2 rows of icons above the smileys - the first one on the left, on the second row (underneath the "B") is a Youtube link. Just press that to get:

Code: [Select]
[you tube][/you tube](note: I've added spaces so it shows up properly in this post...)

Now all you need to do is paste your video's unique code between the two tags, and you're golden! The code appears in the URL (address bar in your browser), just click on it and it should show up in full. Or, once the video has finished playing, copy the code out of the "share" box (see attached picture).

e.g. if your Youtube URL looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4
Take everything after the "v=", i.e. zy5rkw4SeP4, and paste it between the two tags:

[youtube]zy5rkw4SeP4[/youtube]
And you end up with this:

HTH!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:55 AM »
I say Matthew you are getting right into the heart of that donkey saw  :bow:

I always assumed that there was a spring loaded ball bearing down in there as the one way valve, with the adjuster pressing on it, but in all the years I owned it I never dismantled that bit!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:15 AM »
I say Matthew you are getting right into the heart of that donkey saw  :bow:

I always assumed that there was a spring loaded ball bearing down in there as the one way valve, with the adjuster pressing on it, but in all the years I owned it I never dismantled that bit!
Andrew, the twist is in the next video!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:34 AM »
Thanks AdeV
I think this should be a sticky! Thank you for going to the trouble of explaining it so clearly! Those icons above all that animated stuff never read as being anything usable! I fail to see why that function is not part off attachments. It's obvious when you look at it, especially as I know how html code works!

Thanks again, all the best Matthew

Hi Matt,

When you're writing your post, have a look at the 2 rows of icons above the smileys - the first one on the left, on the second row (underneath the "B") is a Youtube link. Just press that to get:

[you tube][/you tube](note: I've added spaces so it shows up properly in this post...)

Now all you need to do is paste your video's unique code between the two tags, and you're golden! The code appears in the URL (address bar in your browser), just click on it and it should show up in full. Or, once the video has finished playing, copy the code out of the "share" box (see attached picture).

e.g. if your Youtube URL looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4
Take everything after the "v=", i.e. zy5rkw4SeP4, and paste it between the two tags:

[youtube]zy5rkw4SeP4[/youtube]
And you end up with this:

HTH!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:27:09 AM »

Andrew, the twist is in the next video!
[/quote]

I wait with bated breath Matthew  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
 I am waiting with the breath baited too, I admire your bottle on drilling through the plug, I would have tried to get it out, but I always was " A boy of nervous disposition"
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
Here we are again, You can breath again Andrew!

Hermetic, I chose to drill the plug rather than trying to get it out because I could see that the drilling for the oil ways was pretty small so I thought that it would be worth the minimal risk and that I could always plug it!!

Here is the video of making an anti return valve for the hydraulic down feed system!

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
Good progress Matthew  :thumbup:

I'm sure that the down feed of the hacksaw was originally tweakable with some sort of variable throttle on the oil escaping from the big pot, and the little pot is pumped by a cam that raises the saw on the reverse stroke.

(Can I respectfully suggest a couple of things? a/ put loctite on your grub screw that retains the spring (or centre pop it) and b/ use a board under your work when sawing in the lathe to preserve the ways - I've seen too many ex-school lathes with saw nicks in them  :bugeye:)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
Well done Matthew

John

Offline Biggles

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
Well done Matthew, but i want the mobility scooter.  :drool:  :lol:

Offline mattinker

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »
Good progress Matthew  :thumbup:

I'm sure that the down feed of the hacksaw was originally tweakable with some sort of variable throttle on the oil escaping from the big pot, and the little pot is pumped by a cam that raises the saw on the reverse stroke.

(Can I respectfully suggest a couple of things? a/ put loctite on your grub screw that retains the spring (or centre pop it) and b/ use a board under your work when sawing in the lathe to preserve the ways - I've seen too many ex-school lathes with saw nicks in them  :bugeye:)

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, your absolutely right about the plank on the ways, I usually do!! The grub screw can't escape, it's up against the bottom of the hole, it's there to stop the spring falling out when it's being installed! I've been all over the reservoir, there no threaded holes that I can see that could have contained an adjuster screw. The only port into the larger chamber is through the bottom, the small piston has a hole half way up it's stroke which vents oil to the reservoir, in doing so it allows oil to escape from the large cylinder, which allows a drop in the height of the blade! I'd love to find an adjuster screw! The adjustment seems to come from the screw that adjusts the stroke of the small piston following the cam. I am still cleaning and painting, it'll be clearer when it's back together!

All the best, Matthew.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »