Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Can this motor be used with a speed controller?

(1/3) > >>

NormanV:
I have a 3 phase 2 speed motor that I am considering fitting to my Raglan lathe. Rather than using a stepped pulley would it be possible to use an inverter with a speed controller to give me a useable range of speeds?

bertie_bassett:
2 speed motors are a bit of a bugger to wire up for an inverter but not impossible.  you will however need an inverter that outputs 415V, if you've got 3  phase it shouldn't be an issue.

you basically have to wire the motor up for either high or low speed, then just use the inverter for speed control.

Id go for the higher speed as its the higher power rating.

you wont be able to use the original switch to change speed but could rewire it to give signals to the inverter if you want to retain that function.

RobWilson:
Hi Norman,

You really should have two VFD's, one for each set of motor windings, as your not supposed to put any switchgear between the VFD and the motor, But saying that if it was me I would put a mechanical changeover switch between the motor and the VFD, and select high or low motor speed before turning the VFD no.

Rob

mattinker:
I haven't actually seen on, but I've read about on line VFDs that can be programmed for two different sets of windings for two speed motors. Worth looking into!

Regards, Matthew

PK:
Can post a pic of the motor terminals. It's possible that the motor (even though it's a two speed motor) can be configured to run from 220-250VAC..  Depends on what's behind that cover plate...

PK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version