Author Topic: Myford Lathe - What's the benefits  (Read 13407 times)

Offline MetalMagus

Myford Lathe - What's the benefits
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
Hi gents,
I am a long time viewer of this forum, and get a lot from reading the various posts. So I thought I would ask for some opinions.

Hopefully later this year I should be in a position to purchase a lathe having created some space for it to live in.

What I would like to determine is if I should purchase a second hand Myford or a new chinese lathe. I like the feel of a Myford having had a go they appear well built and fit for purpose. But I am asking what advantages / disadvantages they have over the newer stuff.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer on this topic. But I'm interested on hearing your thoughts, experiences with either using a Myford or your reasons for going in a different direction.

Cheers

Sean

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Myford Lathe - What's the benefits
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »
Few things with Myford
+ If you can chuck it you can turn it. Often better slow speed range and more space around.
+ Good travel on tail stock. Nice for drilling. Many chinese advertise 50 mm or so, but then the arbor drops, 35 mm is more realistic.
+ Well kept one is very nice to work with, no wobble, handwheels work, generally stuff should feel right.
+ better finish
+ aftermarket parts of varying quality are available
- price and sometimes valued way too high for what it is: a light weight lathe
- most often spindle bore and tail stock bore is way too small. There are some "big bore" models, but standard MT2 taper on spindle is a deal breaker for me.
- metric models with decent spindle bore tend to be bit expensive
- if it does not come with the gearbox and all gears you need, hunting them outside of GB is not that fun.

Those are my very personal points, many will find small spindle bore or my major moans of little consequence.

Pekka

Offline DaveS

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
Last year I reluctantly parted company with my ML7 which had been in the family for 30 odd years. It was a great machine but I needed something with more capacity. A Harrison 250 or 300 would be ideal but access to my shed is not easy and the additional weight would also be a problem. Hopefully the garden is not prone to sink-holes as the shed will drop rapidly.
My only option was a China lathe a fragile option, having already got a Chinese Mill I knew what lay ahead, partial disassembly to remove the 'protection' which appears to be a dirty oil which is brushed on and then left outdoors for the grit to adhere. Several items need adjusting or modifying to get the machine working as it should which I do enjoy doing.
For the price I suppose its not bad but the quality control is almost non excitant.
Hope this helps

Dave

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:18:01 AM »
Thank you for the feed back gents, much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the Myford. Pekka you are correct in stating that they can sometimes be valued too high. But I am in no rush and can wait for the right machine to come along. Over £5K for a new one, or as new from Myfords website, but I have seen some good ones on Ebay for as little as £1K. But unless you can go and see the machine and check for wear you are taking a risk on that type of purchase.

Dave I'm not adverse to stripping down and fettling a new Chinese source machine but I think my time could be better spent improving / accessorizing a Myford. I think the Myford would have enough capacity for what I need and I'm limited in available space / access to it.

Cheers

Sean

Offline Jo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
The Myford is an old design: There are many other lathes of the same "design age" which did not get flowered with all the glory of the Myford in days gone by. They are made of metal and were designed at a time when the design intent was not to sell you another in a few years time. Chinese stuff is built to a price and with the intent of remaining in business in the future.

I had a Myford Super 7 - the hole up the nose annoyed me no end. I replaced it with a Prazimat (German) which I fitted a DRO to. Because of its light construction I had to bolt it to a slab of 25mm thick steel to stop it moving if it got the sun on its tailstock  :palm: I still have the Prazimat it is worth less than 25% of what it cost me. I sold the Myford for three times what I paid for it 30 years later. The very nice quality German chucks that the Prazimat came with are worth more than the Prazimat so I will probably steal them at some point.

If you get desperate and buy Chinese be prepared to throw away the chucks in a few years time and keep your fingers crossed that spares for the electrics remain available - bearings/belts should be easy enough to come by.

I now have my Mr Silky, he is all one could ever want in a lathe :coffee:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:22 PM »
... 'I now have my Mr Silky, he is all one could ever want in a lathe '

'Mr Silky' ...  :scratch: I take it you mean the Prazimat ? ... a pic would help.

I wanted a Myford Super 7B, there was one for sale at the Harrogate exhib' back in 2012, but boy oh boy the price   :jaw:  I ended up getting a Chinese WM250V-F & a WM16 mill, both with stands & the usual accessories for the same price & so far so good with a couple of tweaks here & there both have performed most satisfactorily with what I've given them to do, touch wood. 

George.

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Jo

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »
My Mr Silky. He cost half of what I was going to pay Myford for a new Connoisseur.  :med:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline appletree

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
Very nice it is too I wish I was that tidy or had that little stuff, no disrespect intended. The second statement removes the possibility of the first, either way very very nice.

Phil 

Offline Pete.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »
That's a lovely HLV. What a small lathe should be IMO.

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
Again thanks for all the feed back.

I am going to have to get something that can be bench mounted. A machine on a full size base just is not going to fly for me in terms of space.

Myford may not be my only choice. There others of the same vintage that come along that would work. I like to keep an eye on the for sale page on the "Lathes" website as there are some good bargains to be had on there at times.

Like I said no need to rush into things and I'll keep cogitating on it. When the right machine appears hopefully I will be in a position to nab it. Will let you know when I do.

Thanks

Sean

Offline philf

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:29 AM »
Sean,

Keep an eye on http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ for a lathe.

You might strike lucky with a "Wanted" ad on the same site.

Good luck.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline mechman48

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
My Mr Silky. He cost half of what I was going to pay Myford for a new Connoisseur.  :med:

Jo

... & a very nice machine too...  :thumbup:

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

RobWilson

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
Hi Sean

I just happen to know where there is a Boxford AUD lathe for sale, local-ish to you and delivery can be arranged for £1 per mile if needed , the lathe is  about the same size as a Myford,  coolant, gearbox,power feeds,  127 metric gear, 4 jaw chuck, NO three jaw chuck, but there is a back plate for one, all change wheels, face plate, fixed steady and a quick change tool post with 3 tool holders .

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers Rob

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Looks a very clean machine that Rob.....Looks like the owner looked after it.
Probably a bargain for whoever decides to buy it....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
It's a long bed model too.

RobWilson

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
It's a long bed model too.

Nope !  standard bed length, If it was a long bed model, I would have said so. :coffee:

Rob 

Offline Joules

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
Sean, I could offer you a really nice Myford Super 7 on a stand, Myford splash back and lever operated tailstock at an obscene price.  Or suggest you have a good look at Rob's Boxford on offer.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »
Hi Sean

I just happen to know where there is a Boxford AUD lathe for sale, local-ish to you and delivery can be arranged for £1 per mile if needed , the lathe is  about the same size as a Myford,  coolant, gearbox,power feeds,  127 metric gear, 4 jaw chuck, NO three jaw chuck, but there is a back plate for one, all change wheels, face plate, fixed steady and a quick change tool post with 3 tool holders .
Cheers Rob

That is the lathe I have drolling after. They look very reasonably priced. Only problem (to me) is they all are in UK!

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »
All the good things are Pekka  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

Err....the weather aint.... :doh: :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline mattinker

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »

No Comment!!

Offline Roger B

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
I would suggest Jo's Prazimat. I would have bought it but it is just too big for my space :-(
Best regards

Roger

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Well being Welsh Git and living in the Republic of Dubland I won't even mention Brexit!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »

Jo

... & a very nice machine too...  :thumbup:

George.

Saw that website Phil, but thanks for the heads up. Only discovered it last week so another to add to my ever growing list of favourites. Some interesting kit on there.

Plus I like the idea of having an email address to contact the seller on that website. A lot of the time it's not easy for me to make personal calls at work, but firing off an email doesn't cause any issues. Don't like calling people late into the evening as not everyone appreciates it.

Thanks

Sean

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
Rob,
Thank you for the heads up. Problem with the Boxford is that I wouldn't get the base in. I only have a very small workshop aka shed 8 ft x 6 ft and it has benches round three sides. Compact does not even cover it. I'm not even sure I would get that base through the door. Only way it would work is if the lathe could be removed from and base and ran stand alone so to speak. But if memory serves me right, and its been many years since I've been near a Boxford the control gear for the motor is in the bottom left hand side.

I'm a member of a woodworking forum in the US and they keep posting pictures of their really small workshops that you can fit 3 cars in and moaning about space. They don't know the half of it   :D

Cheers

Sean

Looks a very clean machine that Rob.....Looks like the owner looked after it.
Probably a bargain for whoever decides to buy it....

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »
PS as you can see I haven't quite got the hang of using quoted posts yet.

Kept picking the wrong one  :doh:

Well at least I have given you something to puzzle over.

Again thank you for all of the replies and information. This forum is the best on the net.  :beer:

Sean