Author Topic: Finding the centre  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
Finding the centre
« on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
Having not quite got over my loss of my Mitutoyo touch signal probe, fitted to my last milling machine, I saw a Haimer gauge on a well-known cnc site and thought one could be an appropriate replacement.
I tried it in an R8 collet then pressed the button to operate the air draw-bar; I thought it would shake the gauge to bits. Persistent use in the same manner would not do it much good. A bit of Mission Creep here again.   :bugeye:
Haimer advised the use of an R8-ER32 adapter and 20mm collet. The downside of this would be that it would fit the spindle at any old position. In the instructions, Haimer mention fitting the gauge in a repositionable location, so I came up with this.
1.   A blank R8 adapter fitted with a piece of bored out bar.
2.   The 5MT – R8 adapter for boring to 20mm
3.   M8 hole for gauge retaining stud/knob. Next job caused a problem. The requirement was for a drilled and tapped hole at 90 degrees to the original. This would hold a small handle to rotate the spindle to the correct position. Eventually solved by mounting a stick of square stock in the bore and lining up with a set square. Not quite sure how others may have tackled that job.
4.   Both parts finished. Threaded a piece of brass rod to M8 and loctited into an old rosette knob
5.   Finished unit in position.
Pete

Offline John Rudd

Re: Finding the centre
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
Kewl project there Pete....Nicely done and some good pictures..... :bow: ( I like pictures..... :lol:)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors