Author Topic: setting up my Myford with altternate toolpost  (Read 4750 times)

Offline mikemott

setting up my Myford with altternate toolpost
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
I have been using a Dickson quick change on my Myford for a long time but buying additional tool holders for it in my neck of the woods is beyond my budget, so I decided to change for one of the B2132 type from Busy Bee in Alberta the additional tool holders are only $27 which I can afford. The B2132 is designed for a 12 inch lathe. with a small modification to the compound slide however it works fine.

All I had to do was mill a step into the end and back sides of the compound slide. the one on the end is .25 x .125

and the one on the side is .125 x .125

I know all the Myford purists are probably gasping, but a tool that can be optimized for little expense seemed like a reasonable compromise. 

I pushed out the Myford 7/16 post and tapped the slide 1/2 x 20 and machined the 9/16 end of the B2132 post down to 1/2 inch then threaded it 1/2 x 20 and then drilled and tapped the end with a 1/4 x 28 to put a locking keeper plate on the underside of the casting that was filled originally by the large end of the original Myford post.

I still have the option of setting the Dickson back on the new threaded post, should I be lucky enough to come across a hidden stash of unwanted Dickson holders here in Alberta.

Mike

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: setting up my Myford with altternate toolpost
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
A nice conversion Mike  :thumbup:

It's a functional tool, and to modify it to local circumstances is perfectly reasonable in my view. It'd be different if it was an original Henry Maudsley, but it isn't !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:54:17 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mikemott

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
I'm a bit surprised you went with a BXA size, but it obviously works for you.
I have an AXA on my King 1022ML and recently bought some extra holders from Accusize in Markham. BXA's are CA$20, might be worth a look. https://www.accusizetools.com/turning-and-facing-holders/. Overall it was lower cost than getting them from Shars.

Gerrit

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »
Seams reasonable to me Mike.... nice,

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:41:04 PM »

I know all the Myford purists are probably gasping, but a tool that can be optimized for little expense seemed like a reasonable compromise. 

Mike

We had a ML7 in the workshop years ago that got very little use  :scratch: until my father realized that if he took a grinder to the bed   :bugeye: and opened up the gap considerably it would do a job that he used to farm out  :loco: As he said who cares what people think modify your own tools to do the job you need them to do  :thumbup: :thumbup:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline mikemott

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
I'm a bit surprised you went with a BXA size, but it obviously works for you.
I have an AXA on my King 1022ML and recently bought some extra holders from Accusize in Markham. BXA's are CA$20, might be worth a look.

Gerrit I don't have the BXA I have the AXA according to the sizes that I have measured for the post and for the tool holders. The local Busy Bee in Edmonton carry these in stock all the time so are easy to pick up.

I have started to set up a few tools now and what a difference it makes to not have to keep adjusting and switching tools in the holders. The knurling tool is a push type so it likely wont get used but the back end has a place for a tool that can be used for facing or boring.

The holder for the Morse taper that came with my Dickson set back in 1970 has never been used and the one that came with this new post likely wont see any either. Am I missing something here with this particular tool holder item?  I use the tailstock for drilling holes in material that is held in the chuck.

Thanks Anthony

Jon that is a funny story.

Mike 

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
My Colchester has a 'T2' Dickson post, and over the years I've accumulated several of the taper holders. I can't recall ever using one for it's intended purpose (drilling, boring etc) but I have modified one or two for other purposes - the steel is quite workable if you anneal it.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mikemott

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
Andrew, I like this modification a lot, thanks for the idea.

Mike

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
I guess I misread something about the B2132 then, sorry.
The big tool holder in that set in my case is not a taper one, it is for boring bars. A taper one is available as extra elsewhere but is not commonly sold as part of the set. Yes, QCTP's are a wonderful invention.
You can get AXA holders from Accusize as well for CA$18.60, it is inevitable that you always need more of them! I recently bought 4 more, likely another 4 of 0250-0101 before the end of the year. The Accusize supplied ones are very well made, cleaner finish than the ones from Shar (which are not shabby either). The next project is to make a storage system for the holders of course.

The gaol is to get things done, not (usually) maintain a museum piece of machinery.

Gerrit