Author Topic: Refurbished tools  (Read 4295 times)

Offline John Rudd

Refurbished tools
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
Chatting to another madmodder the other day, I promised I'd post up some pictures of my drill collection that seems be growing :loco:

The photos below are of a Stanley Bridges 5/16" two speed drill that I recently refurbished....Sadly the original paint cannot be had...I suspect it may have been an American colour because I cant find it in RAL or BS colours anywhere....

Basically the drill was stripped, casing blasted and repainted,all bearings replaced, brushes checked, comm polished and mains cable changed with a new plug fitted with an appropriate size fuse....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Refurbished tools
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »
I had one that I think was identical to that, that was painted in metallic gold paint which I'm sure was original.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:05:34 AM »
Very tidy job, John. They look good enough to use.   :bugeye: :thumbup:
Pete

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Where does the battery pack go? ;)

I remember when I got rid of my last corded drill.  They finally had powerful cordless drills on the market that could last at least as long as a second battery took to charge up.  I've never looked back.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Sparky,
I have a special affinity for the Stanley Bridges drills I have collected. Goes back to my childhood days...its not become an obsession... Yet! But I have some 20 odd drills amassed in my collection, some dating back as early as 1960 if not before....some of the drills have serial numbers in the lower thousands, either there weren't many made or I got some of the early models....some drills that are the same 'model' have a mk1 or mkII designation as well....
Some models are even boxed in their original packaging...
I love 'em....

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
Very tidy job, John. They look good enough to use.   :bugeye: :thumbup:
Pete

Thanks Pete, but too good to use.... :lol: :lol:.....I must be crackers.... :loco:

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »
Looks good as new John  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
Sparky,
I have a special affinity for the Stanley Bridges drills I have collected. Goes back to my childhood days...its not become an obsession... Yet! But I have some 20 odd drills amassed in my collection, some dating back as early as 1960 if not before....some of the drills have serial numbers in the lower thousands, either there weren't many made or I got some of the early models....some drills that are the same 'model' have a mk1 or mkII designation as well....
Some models are even boxed in their original packaging...
I love 'em....

I enjoy the refurbishing part of old tools, but I can't say I share your collection obsession.  Yes, I did say "obsession", as I think at a count of 20 you're pretty much there.  Not to worry though, there are people with much stranger and less useful collections.  It does look like you've done a great job restoring the one in the picture.