The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Cutter thingy

(1/3) > >>

kayzed1:
Hi all, i mate asked if i could make him a cutter ( for wood ) He used to make cart wheels with his Great grand Dad as a lad, he now wants to start again. He saw on the tube a guy who had made a cutter for the end spigot ( if that is what you call it ) the end bit of the spoke that fits into the wheel ( wooden tyre ) before the steel tyre is fitted. It has to cut a 1" spigot so because of the size of the spokes this has to be three inches across, 1" hole down the middle and two X 1" blades one each side of the bore. So i had a lump of round bar 3" across...chopped with the saw and that took 48mins so i should have then had an idea this was going to go slowly. Very carefully chucked it in the 4jaw ( Myford s7 ) and very carefully cleaned up both ends....Re chucked and revolving centre fitted i started to cut slowly ....What is the steel! i was told it was a JCB ram,
i have used them before and they cut nicely after you get through the hard outer case. 4 inserts latter i rang the guy who gave me the steel bar.
Oh! sorry he says i forgot to tell you this bar was from a lift shaft, it was the pin the lift cable drum runs on :doh: :doh: Once i got 8mm into it it cuts very well...
Lyn.   

Biggles:
Hi Lyn, the metal sounds like something that is either case hardened or something like EN16T. 16t is a tool steel which is hardened for some of the thickness. If the item was designed to break, it’s probably case hardened for wear resistance.  :coffee:

sparky961:
I've had some luck with "backyard annealing" in my propane aluminum furnace/foundry.  Just stick the piece in there and get it as hot as my furnace goes (about where Brass melts).  Then turn it off and seal it up the best I can and leave it until the next day.  You could also bury it in sand, or anything else that will insulate.

I've thought about trying to toss a big chunk of hardened steel into the wood stove with a nice hot fire going (the wife would love the house temperature while doing that).  I figure the inevitable cool down overnight would anneal it quite nicely as long as the fire got it hot enough in the first place.

I've done this with pieces a file wouldn't even touch, and they saw and machine absolutely beautifully afterward.  I'm sure I could even re-harden some of them if that's what I wanted to do.

kayzed1:
Thanks for the info, looks like i will have to find a furnace then, i can get another bar this one is 4"X 56".
It would be a shame to let it go to scrap when it is free.
Lyn.

chipenter:
I got some hardend pins from a fork lift 2"*8" , droped them in the bonfire when we were trimming some trees , they were still hot 2 days later rusty but annealed .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version