Author Topic: Lathe Back Stop  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Metalman

Lathe Back Stop
« on: February 01, 2017, 05:59:03 AM »
The video I am making public this week is a back stop for the lathe. Whilst one of the lesser used lathe accessories I find it invaluable for the occasional project, often making a task easier, or more accurate, especially when identical parts are being made.

A link to the video can be found on my website at this page. http://www.homews.co.uk/page92.html

Harold

Offline sparky961

Re: Lathe Back Stop
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »
Ok, you have my "thumbs up" on this one.

My initial thought was that it looked a bit over complicated, but after giving it a second glance I think the complication serves some of the purposes that make for a good back stop.  For anyone that doesn't have a back stop for their lathe, MAKE ONE NOW - of whatever sort works for you at the moment.  You'll make more in the years to come as you find the need.

Some of the criteria that should be taken into consideration for a back stop:
- Very quick and easy to insert and adjust, without removing anything significant
- Positive locking positioning, both in the spindle bore and for the depth rod
- Balanced - no need for your lathe to shimmy across the floor when you crank it up to turn a small diameter
- Rigid - The end of the rod shouldn't "whip" at high speeds, or vibrate at any time

If you can build in some flexibility, that's great.  But if you have a job that will work with something simple and single purpose, that's fine too.

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
Thanks Harold, I've been intending to make one for my Holbrook  (perhaps two, one for the spindle bore, one for the collet drawtube),that looks excellent and shouldn't be impossible  to scale up a bit!

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »
Another thanks Harold, recently made one and it works well and now wished I hadnt dragged my feet for so long :beer:
Instead of gluing the two parts together I did a press fit just didnt like the idea of glue just my way I guess
Cheers
frazer
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Offline Metalman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »
Thank you Sparky for adding your comments on the requirements for a good backstop design and your compliment for mine.

Best of luck “hopefuldave” with the scaled up version for your Holbrook.

In my workshop “fcheslop” my biggest regret was not making my saddle stop much earlier. If I ever have to restock a workshop, unlikely at 83, it will be the first accessory to be made.

Harold