The Shop > Tools

miniture dividers

(1/2) > >>

jcs0001:
I bought these a few days ago at a local thrift shop.  They are small versions of dividers that I use fairly regularly.  A 6 in. (150 mm) scale has been included in the photo for reference.

The large compass on the top right appears to be hand made - it is quite well made with no name on it.  It is a standard size.

The inside and outside dividers are Moore and Wright and the small straight divider is a Starrett.

The question I have is what were the small ones used for - model making or something similar?

Thanks,

John.

awemawson:
I have the identical twins of the Moore & Wright inside and outside calipers - been in my tool drawer near the lathe for at least 20 years  :bugeye:

Chuck in E. TN:
I don't have a clue as to their designated purpose in life, but I too, have the same small outside calipers. I set them to the target diameter when turning small bar stock on my lathe. For example, when threading and I need to make an undercut for threading tool to run out into. Mine were in the tool box I inherited from my late father, who was an industrial electrician/repairman.

Chuck

Pete W.:
That smallest pair of dividers is often stiffer than a larger set and so is better for marking out small features such as spaces or circles. 

jcs0001:
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.  They are quite nicely made and a real addition to my tools whether I use them or not.  For now they are beside my small taig lathe as it's likely they will be useful there.

Andrew - You've had them 20 years but have you ever used them??? :wave:

Chuck - that sounds like a good use.

Pete - makes sense to me.  Will try them out when needed.

The compass is very nicely made but the pencil holder was too large.  I made a brass spacer yesterday and epoxied it into place so that the pencil now fits very nicely. 

John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version