Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

An Educated Nut for Warco WM40 (with a Bridgeport type quill)

(1/5) > >>

Spurry:
Not being in the habit of finishing one job before starting another, and being galvanised into action by Andrew M, I have started to make a quick acting nut otherwise known as an educated nut.

This makes rapid adjustment of the quill-stop a breeze, instead of perpetually winding the normal stop nut to change position.

Andrew was kind enough to give me a few hints, as other sources of info seem to be a bit thin on the ground, especially for a metric version.
Just to put into context, the cost to purchase a nut from MSC is close on £50, and that's only available in Imperial.

The threaded rod on my quill is 12.60mm diameter with a 1mm pitch. As only some part threads are engaged, Andrew reckons a 12mm tap should do the job.
I have m12 x 1.75, 1.50, and 1.25 pitches but not 1mm,  :doh: so that's as far as I have got until the m12 x 1mm arrives.

(The red blob is not blood, but nail varnish, to aid repositioning.)  :wave:

The job so far-

philf:

--- Quote from: Spurry on February 17, 2017, 01:46:04 PM ---
The threaded rod on my quill is 12.60mm diameter with a 1mm pitch. As only some part threads are engaged, Andrew reckons a 12mm tap should do the job.

--- End quote ---

Hi Spurry,

12.60 diameter sounds too close to 1/2" to me - could the pitch be 26 tpi (0.977mm)? A 1/2" BSB tap might be a better bet.

Phil.

John Stevenson:
I went thru this idea over on the HSM forum way back in March 2009.
Never having used One I wanted to know what locked it after you had set it with the button and was told you wind the locking nut up ??? WTF, if you have to wind the locking nut up you might as well wind the stop up ??

Plus what happens when the button disappears round the back.

Pic that someone posted at the time.

So I came up with a single stop arrangement that locked in any position and didn't need a locking ring.

Right imagine the setup the Bridgy has at the moment, one nut and a locking ring, both threaded 1/2 x 20.

Now replace the nut with a shallower 'nut' but has a clearance hole, attached to this by two pins / screws / rivets is a knurled locking ring again with clearance hole.

This locking ring is actually top hatted internally as is actually a cam ring. Inside this cam ring are two half nuts, a lot like bob weights in a dizzy, it is these that are threaded 1/2" x 20.

To operate you open the cam ring, springs, not shown, force the half nuts apart and the whole assembly can move freely up and down the quill rod.

When in position you turn the cm ring to engage the rod, fine tune to position then nip the cam ring to lock.

Two pics to show the section thru the cam ring.

Make sense ??

Never got round to building this and the old POS Bridgy is long gone and I have the same machine as Spurry.
Might ? just gee me up to doing something about it.

Joules:
Nice CAM lock, very suitable for 3D printed applications.  Filed for future use.

Spurry:

--- Quote from: philf on February 17, 2017, 02:07:53 PM ---
12.60 diameter sounds too close to 1/2" to me - could the pitch be 26 tpi (0.977mm)? A 1/2" BSB tap might be a better bet.

--- End quote ---
Phil, thanks for the interest. I spent quite a bit of time with my M&W thread gauges trying to work out the threads on both the rod and screw that holds the quill stop. The 1mm pitch fitted the long rod very nicely, and the nut has 100 divisions, so my conclusion was metric.
However the screw referred to, was not a good fit on any gauge, but according to the handbook was 3/8-24 UNF x 3/4, (on a metric machine!).

So, I've ordered the 1mm pitch tap. If it does not work there's always the other option... :thumbup:

John S
That is a very elegant solution. Just a wee bit of programming on the old cnc machine. Can I put my name down now for one?  :wave:
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version