Author Topic: Jones - Shipman Vice  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Biggles

Jones - Shipman Vice
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Hi all just wanted to share a thought about stripping and rebuilding one of my buys from the E market. After some hassle of stripping the vice, I managed to disassemble it. Unfortunately this cost me a carbide centre drill and two carbide twist drills. The previous owner must have shares in Threadlock! The runner strip plates underneath the rear jaws (moving part) had been seen to by a gorilla and totally trashed the Torx screws and Allen key heads. Due to this I had no choice but to centre drill the screws and try and use a left-hand tap. The centre drill point snapped in a screw body. I then tried to drill around the piece of carbide stuck in the middle of the screw, which of course damaged the drills. My only other way of removing the said screws other than heat was to use a larger drill bit and remove the heads leaving just studs. Luckily the plates lifted off and the studs had no Threadlock, which unscrewed easily. As you can see below I am now in the process of repair and cleaning but have a question to ask; the two slide plates screw to the underside of the rear jaw which runs along runners of the cast. Should there be a softer metal sandwiched between the two or am I been too fussy?

Offline appletree

Re: Jones - Shipman Vice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
I had one of these vices (amongst others, some mechanical, some not) i digress, actually mechanically v good but some chips to the enamel ad the filler underneath, I fully dissembled it and there was nothing sandwiched on mine. I filled the damage with Dolphin Glaze, refinished in manor paints hammer finish, Myford ML10 green as that is what was in the gun. Your vice looks mint like the £650 ones on eBay.

Phil

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:29:29 AM »
The two slide plates go on without any packers only oil for lubrication.

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
'tis a VERY nice vice in good condition  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
It was pretty good when I got it but had some rust issues which I have solved as you can see. So the consensus is a gib type plate is not required. I can appreciate that as cast is self-lubricating. Does anybody know the colour reference for this greyish/white ? I have tried the manufacturer several times but to no avail. I also blued the cleaned up steel parts with Casey’s blue as in the photos. Hopefully if I can get the correct colour, I can patch it up and put it back together.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
Wow Biggles - it's going to be an exhibition piece  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
I do try Andrew.  :beer:
thanks for the input Phil and Jo.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:50:19 AM by Biggles »

Offline Biggles

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
I had some time yesterday and put the old Jones & Shipman back together. I didn't bother to touch-up the paint and instead gave it a good coating of Ankor wax. Now it’s ready to be packaged and put away until I can setup my workshop.

I thought the little vice looked lonesome so I bought this monster daddy Shipman to keep it company.  (the postman popped an artery bringing it in). As you can see it needs the full treatment, much more than its little brother. I have given it a good coat of penetrating oil and will put it aside as I think the next job must be making the gallows brackets for my Transwave converter to be put up on the wall with the accompanying electrics. Then I can see what works and what doesn’t as I have another Harrison lathe now a couple more grinders and drill that work on 3 phase.

:zap: