The Shop > Our Shop

Suggestions Please for Storing Sheet Materials

(1/6) > >>

awemawson:
Up until recently the only metal sheet materials I've had 'in stock' are relatively thin steel or aluminium in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets up to about 2 mm. They are 'just about' manageable single handed, especially as I use a pair of 'glaziers suckers' to get a good grip without getting cut to shreds. This lets me slide them down the side of the guillotine on a couple of battens to keep them off the floor.

It's not ideal - but it just about works  :scratch:

awemawson:
Now things have changed a bit since I've got the CNC plasma table up and running - I'm now working with much heavier sheets. The last bit was a full 8x4 of 3/8" steel, which I had to cut up with a hand held plasma cutter to get it into manageable bits, and even then I need to use a 'scissor lift' to get plate onto the table

awemawson:
So today, things have come to a head - I've taken delivery of 6 off 6 mm 8 x 4 steel sheets - this was an ebay bargain that couldn't be resisted, and as a bonus they came with two massive switch on/offable magnetic lifters each rated at 200 kgs  :clap:

awemawson:
Now each of those sheets weigh about 140 kgs. In itself that's not a problem - I can lift them with a fork lift. BUT - just propped against a wall they are potentially dangerous and virtually impossible to move about when standing up.

I had intended to cut them into 4 x 4 sheets - I even have an electric nibbler that can chomp through 1/4" like butter to do the job, but it seems stupid to cut them up un-necessarily as you can be sure I'll need a long thin bit some time  :bang:

So far I have in mind something like the trolleys that you see in D-I-Y stores that have slots to slide sheets in - but it would need to be stoutly made and lifting sheets on edge is not that easy (although I do have a self gripping 'plate clamp' )

... so the challenge - imaginative, practical and safe solutions to storing heavy plate in a limited space in a workshop  :ddb:

redshift:
 perhaps something along the lines of a car roller ?
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version