Author Topic: propane - oxygen torch?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline howsitwork?

propane - oxygen torch?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Saw a guy recently using a propane oxygen set up for cutting BIG steel sections of scrap. Looked very impressive so is it just a standard welding nozzle with a different nozzle size? :scratch: :scratch:

Anyone any experience of this and recommendations???

The idea is to get ready for possibly making a speedy boiler 5" guage and current heating set up ( flamefast propane / compressed air hearth) might not be upto the necessary heat output needed I fear?

Regards Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: propane - oxygen torch?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
It is exactly the same process as oxy-acetylene cutting, as the fuel gas is used just to preheat the steel to the point where the oxygen can burn it. So marginally slower heating up due to the lower energy content of the propane.

Different nozzle used due to different gas burning properties

http://www.bakersgas.com/weldmyworld/2015/10/24/comparing-propane-vs-acetylene-for-cutting-metal/

However when it comes to your boiler I assume that you are proposing to silver solder the boiler rather than weld or cut it it ? So the volume of propane to heat it to the silver solder flowing temperature will be more than with acetylene, so as long as you have burners of sufficient size to overcome the large surface heat losses you should be ok

(Lots of heat reflecting hearth bricks will help)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

Re: propane - oxygen torch?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Andrew

you're a saint! :bow: 

I have no intention of trying cutting with the set up, just mentioned that as that's were I'd seen it done.

Inherited a set of sapphire gear recently so might try that with different nozzles - any suggestions ( clean ones please 'cos I'm shy :lol: :lol: ) on types / availability/ recommended places to get etc ???

Got some reflective bricks but was considering vermiculite as had heard you can pack stuff in it ( ie fill the barrel if / when it gets made) to retain heat? I've also seen the ceramic wool used to great effect to retain heat and it's not too costly.

Thanks again

Ian